VMware Cloud Community
priddyj
Contributor
Contributor

MSCS VM with RDM is lost when host panics

I'm running a vSphere 4.1 HA/DRS cluster with 5 hosts. I have a two-node MSCS cluster in this environment, RDM's are set up according to the VMWare recommendations.

Recently I have encountered a couple of host panics that cause that particular ESX Host to become unavailable. All of my other VM's restart on other ESX hosts as I would expect. I know that machines with physical RDM's can't vMotion. However, what I am seeing is the state of the VM with the RDM's is disconnected and grayed out, with the green arrow indicating that the last VM state that vCenter knew about was that it is powered on.

I can't remove this VM from inventory since the host that it is attached to is disconnected. The only way I can get this VM back is to 1) Remove the failed host from inventory, 2) manually browse the datastore and add the vmx for the VM back to inventory, 3) start the VM.

Is there a better way to get my VM back online? I'd rather not lose all of my statistics due to removing the disconnected host from vCenter, but that's the only way I can get the VM that I need out of the inventory. Getting it out of inventory and manually adding it back is the only way I've found to regain access to the VM again (aside from waiting on the failed host to be repaired and added back).

Thanks in advance

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
bulletp31
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is one of the problems using physical RDMs.

I have had similar problems and we have always had to remove the host and add the VM back.

0 Kudos