VMware Cloud Community
BMITE
Contributor
Contributor

MSA 2012i / vSphere 4.1 / HP C3000 BL460C Blade Center - iSCSI connection problems

Hello.

As we changed to "jumbo frames" on a vSphere 4.0 environment four weeks ago, we could connect our iSCSI targets on our MSA and on a NetApp 3040 filer without any problems. Then - after upgraded to vSphere 4.1 and rebooted the ESX hosts - we suddenly could not connect to the MSA filer anymore. Connections in direction to NetApp are possible!

From the ESX console, I can vmkping the NetApp iSCSI device without error, vmkping to MSA is not possible. I have checked everything on the MSA and noticed, that a connection from another HP DL 380 G5 server via dedicated iSCSI device is still possible. Only from the ESX server, I cannot connect. All devices are connected on a dedicated iSCSI switch, which is a Layer 2 Switch / GB2EC in the C3000 enclosure.

Yesterday, I found this article and tested it, but nothing changes:

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1001109 (Cannot use iSCSI or NFS over an etherchannel bond to a Cisco switch).

Curiously it all worked before upgrading to vSphere 4.1.

Thank you for any help....

Bye Thomas

0 Kudos
2 Replies
BMITE
Contributor
Contributor

Nobody any idea? Are there informations missing?

0 Kudos
ezzeldin72
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

i am sure you checked the Compatibility Guide for the following for MSA2012i with esx4.1

• 1. Support for Virtual LSILogic Only

• 2. Requires patches with release dates up to November 3rd 2007 or later.

Ezzeldin Hussein | MBA| VCAP-DCA/DCD | VCI Level II | VCP-DCV/DT/CMA/NX | VCA/VSP/VTSP | vExpert Team Lead, Systems Engineering, NALE | Member of CTO Ambassador Program.  Business Central Tower A, Dubai Internet City, Dubai, POB 500569 Mobile(EG): +20106 5533 950 Mobile(UAE): +971 56 9095 106 Mobile(OM): +968 9066 0533
0 Kudos