VMware Cloud Community
ygao
Contributor
Contributor

MS SQL on vSphere

Ok, so I'm helping our DBA team deploying SQL on vSphere. and the result isn't that pleasing, with the same test (which is just to create rows), it takes 1hr on VM and 5 mins on physical. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Here is teh hardware's configuration.

HP DL 360 G6, 2 Processor with 4 cores, hyperthreading is enabled. 50 GB memory, with 5 VMs

Local storage

Please see the screen shot for VM config. I used Paravirtual SCSI controller for all the disks, on separtate controller.

Any ideas? Thanks.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

What does the resource utilization look like, in terms of CPU and Memory, when running your test? Also, 4 vCPUs does not always lead to better performance than 2 vCPUs. I would reduce the number to 2 vCPU, if your resource utilization does not suggest you are taking advantage of 4 vCPUs.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

Don't forget to leave points for helpful/correct posts.

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
ygao
Contributor
Contributor

Memory and CPU were running minmal...a bit spike..but nothing out of ordinary...

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Then the vCPUs are more than likely hurting you here than helping you. Sounds a bit counter-intuitive, but you should decrease from 4 to 2, and re-run your test.

-KjB

VMware vExpert

Don't forget to leave points for helpful/correct posts.

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
chrisaug
Contributor
Contributor

If I may ask, how did you install your OS using the Paravirtual SCSI controller?

0 Kudos
ygao
Contributor
Contributor

So, I added a second drive to the server as 😧 drive, use paravirtual for the 2nd drive, make sure it is on the 2nd controller, 1:0, not 0:1. Boot it up and install the vmware tools (if it didn't ask for it). shut the VM down, delete teh 2nd drive, switch the 1st controller to paravirtual and it will boot up.

0 Kudos
ygao
Contributor
Contributor

Also, I figure out the issue, it's the local drive.

Local drives is 25x slower

San with Raid 5 is 8x

San with Raid 10 is same as hardware or at most 1.5x slower...

thanks all

0 Kudos
chrisaug
Contributor
Contributor

Interesting... Thanks a bunch.

I still want to do a bit more research. Obviously, the VMware Tools have the proper driver then... My only concern is if the VMware Tools install gets corrupted or upgraded, I wonder what would happen?

Thanks Again

Chris

0 Kudos
ygao
Contributor
Contributor

I would make a backup first before I make any changes if the system is very critical to you.

But, just FYI - we have about 80~ servers running parvirtual for C drives right now, not a problem so far...knock on wood.

Good luck though...

0 Kudos
tWiZzLeR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is running a paravirtualized SCSI controller on your OS volume (C:) supported by VMware?

0 Kudos
chrisaug
Contributor
Contributor

I didn't think it was, but I found this KB article and now I'm not so sure. Although they never mention using it as a boot drive specifically... It's not listed under the limitations and they don't tell you not to do it.

KB Article

0 Kudos
tWiZzLeR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

KB Article

In that article it does state the following:

Note: Booting from a disk attached to a PVSCSI adapter is not supported. The system software must be installed on a disk attached to an adapter that does support bootable disk.

0 Kudos
tWiZzLeR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Darn double-post

Message was edited by: tWiZzLeR

0 Kudos
chrisaug
Contributor
Contributor

Oops... missed that part. My bad... Good catch though... :smileygrin:

I still might try it... like a lot of things with ESX and vmware, it may not be supported but it will work... I want to try it on some test VMs and do some comparisons.

0 Kudos