VMware Cloud Community
Contributor
Contributor

MS Exchange VM freezes at login

We are running esxi 4.1 348481. On this hypervisor I have a guest VM running Windows 2008 Standard x64 with MS Exchange 2007 SP3 on it. For reasons unknown if we login to this guest using RDP it will go to a black screen and cause the Exchange server to freeze. After about 15 mins it comes back to life. The work around has been to login using the VMware console instead of RDP. Today I logged in to the Exchange console via VMware and it and I got a spinning cursor and was stuck at the blue windows screen you see after entering your username and password.

I was advised to load the proper video driver for the guest vm. The hypervisor is running on an Proliant DL380 but of course I cannot install the driver for the video card because VMware is showing the guest OS that the display adapter is VMware SVGA II.

My question is has anyone ever seen this behavior on a guest OS? Any suggestions on a resolution? There are no events logged in windows to indicate any issues when the server crashes. When this occurs all other guest OS'es running on the hypervisor are not affected. It only affects this one guest OS. If any additional info is needed to help resolve this issue please let me know. One thing that I am considering is that the account we are using to log into the Guest VM might have a corrupt profile on the server that needs to be deleted. I have yet to try removing that profile.

I appreciate any suggestions on a possible resolution to this issue.

Thank you,

PT

0 Kudos
3 Replies
spravtek
Expert
Expert

I had this once happening with a Windows server 2008 VM, the only thing that worked for this machine was to uninstall VMware Tools, reboot and reinstall the tools without the vga driver ...

Maybe something you could try?

Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the input. at this time I have no clues as to why this problem is occuring but I will try what you suggested.

0 Kudos
sparrowangelste
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

try to bump the video ram to 32mb

--------------------- Sparrowangelstechnology : Vmware lover http://sparrowangelstechnology.blogspot.com
0 Kudos