VMware Cloud Community
Giovak
Contributor
Contributor

MPIO on ESXi 7.0

Foreword: on the ESXi I have a nic configured for management and I used IPv4. I was able to use iSCSI targetting the SCST server, all worked and works very nicely.

Now I'm struggling in having MPIO working between an ESXi 7.0 and SCST server by using IPv6 but I'm having no luck.

I added 4 more nics and configured them with IPv6. I created 4 portgroups in a dedicated vSwitch and of couse one VMKnic in each portgroup. I assigned 4 interfaces on the SCST server as well. Each Interface can ping6 the peer on the other side.I followed many tutorials on the Internet and I did all the changes through ESXCLI.
I found an excellent one at 

https://virtualgeek.typepad.com/virtual_geek/2009/01/a-multivendor-post-to-help-our-mutual-iscsi-cus...

However is for ESX/ESXi 4.0 and many asked for the same commands but from ESXi 5.5 and newer versions.
I understood that I have to bind a VMKnic with a vmnic but do far all my attempts failed miserably.

Is it possible? Could anybody point me to the right direction?

Thanks Gio

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hey @Giovak,

So as far as I understood you are going into the right direction, please confirm me you did the next:

• Configured one portgroup for each vmnic and iSCSI adapter.
  • Configured 4 VMkernels.
  • Modified the Teaming and Failover Policy in all the 4 portgroups to have only one vmnic as Active and remaining ones as unused.
  • Configured the port-binding into the iSCSI Software Adapter.

Have you also checked by using vmkping utility from the ESXi if you can reach the storage?

Also on the storage side please check that you are allowing the initiators iqns to be able to Read/Write the LUNs and that you are not applying any ACL for limiting IPs.

0 Kudos
Giovak
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @Lalegre ,

See my replies in-line

• Configured one portgroup for each vmnic and iSCSI adapter.

>  I only have one iSCSI SW adapter. I know in the past I could create more but with ESXi 7.0 I cannot. The vSphere Web GUI is really minimalistic. I tried to do the same with ESXCLI but I fear they have removed the feature;

• Configured 4 VMkernels.

> Yes one per portgroup as usual;

• Modified the Teaming and Failover Policy in all the 4 portgroups to have only one vmnic as Active and remaining ones as unused.

> Oh my goodness, I have just realized that for some reason they have the "Teaming and Failover Policy" set to "Inherit from the vSwitch" where the are all active 😞 I will set it individually for each portgroup, thanks.

• Configured the port-binding into the iSCSI Software Adapter.

> Sorry for the silly question: do you mean I have to assign VMKnics to the iSCSI SW adapter?

Gio

0 Kudos