VMware Cloud Community
chelsea_woolbri
Contributor
Contributor

MMIO handling >4 GB ESXi 6.0 ?

Hi,

There was a VMware KB I'm somehow now unable to access... link: kb.vmware.com/kb/2050443. It's as if the KB doesn't exist anymore. Now, I was able to find it through the Wayback Machine: VMware KB:    Systems with MMIO regions larger than 4GB are not supported

Call outs: This is a known issue affecting VMware ESXi 5.1.x and 5.5.x. Solution is to disable MMIO >4GB setting in OEM system BIOS which causes the PCI devices to be mem-mapped below 4GB. This article applies (applied?)  to 5.1.x and 5.5.x...

Has anyone dealt with modifying these settings before, or potential issues because of it? I'm trying to find any information on if this is still a known issue with 5.x and also how 6.x handles high MMIO page sizing. Any info would be a great help here.

Thanks,

Chelsea

0 Kudos
1 Reply
chelsea_woolbri
Contributor
Contributor

Closing the loop on this, I did find an update to this published on December 11th.

VMware KB:     Requirements to use a large Memory Mapped I/O PCI BARs on vSphere

vSphere 6.0 supports some PCI devices with large (64-bit) Base Address Registers (BARs) and/or MMIO regions larger than 1 GB.

You can now edit the .vmx file of the VM attached to the PCI device to allow 64 bit BAR's.

Thanks

Chelsea

0 Kudos