VMware Cloud Community
TechKev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ML150 G6 - PSOD

Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased a ML150 G6 to start using Vmware in our office.  However, when trying to load the HP specific ISO, I will recieve a PSOD.  I reverted back since I wasn't able to restore the SBS 2008 onto the Vwmare.

I am going to try to capture the PSOD once I find a software package that allows me to backup to a Vmware so I can continue to use the SBS 2008.  (The SBS 2008 was installed on a 140 Gigs harddrive, but the SBS2 2008 backup doesn't allow you to backup to a smaller disc.

Anyone have issues installing the Vmware ESX/ESXi HP specific ISO on this hardware.

Hardware is on the approved list for ESX. But I had to install a 3rd party RAID support

Side note:  I was able to install the default vmware ISO on this hardware and no PSOD.  I was able to install both ESX and ESXI, its the HP specific ISO that I'm having issues.  I also tried different copies of CD to ensure that download was correct.

Side Note #2:  Since the ML150 is a entry level server, and does use a HSPA service, etc, is the HP specific CD only use for higher end servers?   I'm thinking that the server has different chip set that runs their monitoring iLO 100 compared to others.    Since the iLO 100 does offer most of it's monitoring via the mgnt webgui, maybe the it doesn't need the other software installed like my older DL360 G3 and G4s.

Thoughts?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
andybgrant
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I tried to reply earlier but fat-fingered the back button and lost my post Smiley Sad

I use an ML150 G6 in my home lab using ESXi 4.1 U1 so I am purely speaking from experience.  The plain VMware images work just fine.  No future ESXi support is planned (as far as I can tell from the HP ISS guys).

I also have the Smart Array P410 controller (w/ 512MB BBWC) but I _cannot_ install the CIM agents otherwise it will PSOD.  I cannot tell you if this is by nature of the LO100 or Smart Array but most likely the fact that LO100 is substantially different than iLO2/3.

As others have pointed out, the HP Management Homepage is _not_ supported on ESXi, only ESX.

Andy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
TechKev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Here is my PSOD screen shot.

If Anyone could help me out that would be great.

0 Kudos
andybgrant
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Techkey - don't use the HP ISO, it is not supported on the ML150 G6.  You can use the VMware ISO, however you will not have Smart Array hardware status (if you have one).  Do not load the CIM bundle otherwise you will encounter the PSOD again.

Andy

0 Kudos
TechKev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yeah that would make sense.  But the ML150 is a ProLiant based server.   I'm assuming that the iLO 100 is not the same type of management used on other ProLiant servers.

It doesn't say anywhere that the HP CD isn't supported... I do believe you thou, but I wanted to used that Homepage to mointor the hardware.

I installed a vmware approved array on this server, as the onboard array is not supported.

I guess this is one reason why the it suppose the ESX, so you can add the HP specific modules manaully.

Thanks for the advise.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The ML150 G6 is officially only supported for ESX (not ESXi) according to the VMware HCL and HP (http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/vmware/supportmatrix/hpvmware.html). This does not mean ESXi won't work, however it could break with each update you apply. So be careful when using this system in a production environment!

André

0 Kudos
TechKev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yeah I read a bunch of post from other ML150 users and they mentioned that they spoke to both to HP and Vmware that ESXi will run, but the raid card is not support.  not a biggie for me as I have an approved raid card.

So the only thing I am looking for is to use the HP HomePage softare, as I have used it with Linux before.  It's far harder to install compared to Windows, but still gives the same result.

I just didn't think the CD would be the cause.  So I'm assuming there is sometype of driver it's tried to load, but there is not hardware to support it.   They say the iLO 100 is different, but I figured it couldn't be that different!  Shows me for assuming eh?

Hmmm... I guess I have time, I could install ESX and see if I can get the homepage to work.  Just wanted to say with the current software... was hoping that someone would have some other hints to go thought.  But I do appereicate the reply to my thread.

Just confirms a few things.

I did make a technical request about the PSOD, so I'll see where I can get with them.

Kevin

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

...the only thing I am looking for is to use the HP HomePage software

Assuming you are talking about the HP Management Hompage, this can only be installed on the Service Console in ESX. With ESXi there is no Management Homepage available that can be installed, only the Offline Bundle which installs the CIM providers for the HP specific hardware (e.g. RAID controller, ...)

André

TechKev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hmmmm,

Interesting...

Yes, I was talking about the HP Management Hompage... and I didn't know it wasn't included on the CD.

So maybe I will go ESX then.

Thank you.

Do you know of any posts that explain the install of it?   (Just wondering)

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You can download the HP Management Software for ESX 4.x from HP's web site (Drivers and Support) if the following link does not work for you. You will find the installation instructions there as well as additional instructions in the readme file after extracting the tgz archive.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=de&prodTypeId=15...

André

0 Kudos
andybgrant
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I tried to reply earlier but fat-fingered the back button and lost my post Smiley Sad

I use an ML150 G6 in my home lab using ESXi 4.1 U1 so I am purely speaking from experience.  The plain VMware images work just fine.  No future ESXi support is planned (as far as I can tell from the HP ISS guys).

I also have the Smart Array P410 controller (w/ 512MB BBWC) but I _cannot_ install the CIM agents otherwise it will PSOD.  I cannot tell you if this is by nature of the LO100 or Smart Array but most likely the fact that LO100 is substantially different than iLO2/3.

As others have pointed out, the HP Management Homepage is _not_ supported on ESXi, only ESX.

Andy

0 Kudos
TechKev
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yeah I installed ESX, and all is good.  Everything is working as it should, no PSOD.

I was hoping to stay with ESXi, but I find the ESX works great, plus allows access to the base so I can tweak it here and there.

Thanks guys for all your help.

0 Kudos
andybgrant
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can stay w/ ESXi by upgrading the 5.0. The ML150 G6 is supported using the VMware ISO only.

0 Kudos