VMware Cloud Community
salshawwa
Contributor
Contributor

MD3000i Problem with one esx host

okay it could be an easy fix but i tried almost everything i know lol

yesterday we had a dell vender add a new storage device to the esx hosts " 4.1"  after taking 5 ours configuring it over the phone , everything seemed to be okay , old storage luns shwoing up and new storage luns showing up

rebooted one of the hosts in the morning   , new luns are showing up , old luns are GONE.

double checked the settings rescanned for iscsi volumes , disbaled initiator , enabled it again , deleted everything he did , and restored it back to whatever it was " and old saved config"   , i can vmkping the storage ips from the host but they dont want to show up.

any clues? or any other tricks to try ?

i have one thing im not sure if it could be the problem or not

all the other host "working one didnt reboot them yet am afraid to"  for the vmnics that are associated with the storage doesnt have obsereved ip ranges , but the one i reboot it it shows that there is an a range 172.16.1.50-51   , while other shows NONE , vswtiches for the storage are configured with these ips 172.16.1.6 and another switch 172.16.1.7

0 Kudos
7 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

Check if you can do an "Add Storage" and see the VMFS Label of the old LUNs. If yes, something changed on the old SAN that changed the LUN identification. Also, can you see the old luns on Storage Adapters?

Let me know.

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
salshawwa
Contributor
Contributor

nope did that clicking on add storage wont show anything

and no i cant see the old storage luns on storage adapters , did rescan , deleted the whole configuration re-created them same thing , and im not sure if it will happen with the rest of the hosts but im sure i dont wat to reboot another one and lose the luns on it too on a 3 days weekend lol

0 Kudos
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

If it is not appearing on storage adapters, is a presentation problem on the storage. Check if the ESX REALLY can access this LUNs on the MD configuration.

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
salshawwa
Contributor
Contributor

yes it does host name and address added to the md storage access list

0 Kudos
salshawwa
Contributor
Contributor

and by the way one storage is md3000i and the new storage the dell got us is equalogic

could that be the problem as both of them are using the same iscsi initator ?

0 Kudos
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

Call Dell. They will need to help you.

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
salshawwa
Contributor
Contributor

guess ill have to do that

0 Kudos