VMware Cloud Community
whyphy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

MAC OSX 10.9.4 ESXi Support

What version can I download and more specifically where can I find the download to get an ESXi server running on my MAC?  I did find VMware-VMvisor-Installer-5.5.0.update01-1623387.x86_64.iso and am unable to get it to install.  Mounted it using Disk Utility, a folder opens and nothing more happens.  What am I missing here?  Thank you for any attention.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

When you install ESXi in a VM, you will first create a VM (like container for that). You can allocate the resources for this ESX in its VM settings (Customize settings). All this happens in Fusion.

Once you got ESXi installed in the step above, you have to use vSphere Client to connect to the ESXi VM. Then you can create and manage the actual VMs. Hope my explanation is clear.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
schepp
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

you don't install ESXi on top of your MAC OSX.

ESXi is a bare metal hypervisor and will install as the primary OS on your hardware when you boot from the ESXi installer.

If you want to test it on top of your OSX, you can install ESXi as a Virtual Machine inside VMware Fusion.

0 Kudos
whyphy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you, progress.  OK, so here is what I want to accomplish.  I purchased a MAC Pro, brand new 8core 3GHz,  64GB.  I want to run 12 VM's on this machine.  What do I need to do this.  Some guidance here is very much appreciated.  I was under the impression I could simply run ESXi on a MAC OSX and tada!  Am I also incorrect to imagine I can install VSphere & Ops mgmt on top of OSX?  If I do go Fusion with ESXi within that as a VM as you suggest, will I be able to run those 12 other VM's inside of that one ESXi that is a VM.  --Like the movie Inception, dream within a dream--

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi whyphy, you can run (ESXi) VMs inside Fusion. 12 VMs on a machine with 8 physical CPUs is manageable if each ESX VM is configured with single vCPU, but it ultimately depends on the load the VMs will generate on vCPU. I'd say running 12 ESX VMs will be a bit tight fit on that hardware. IMO 4 ESX VMs, with 2 vCPU and +-8 GB RAM each, and sufficient datastore space will be ideal.

0 Kudos
whyphy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you so much!  Are there specific versions I need to ensure I am running to attempt the above.  I have time to play around so to speak so I don't mind testing stability and pushing the envelope a bit.  I have to get his environment stable by the end of month, so I can begin installing away now essentially.  The load of each VM within ESXi will be minimal.  It will not be in a production environment, more like lab facility for teaching functionality of the virtualized platforms that will be the VMs themselves, hence the need for 12.  I knew someone in my job(just left the company) who was doing something similar on MAC Minis but not to this scale.  They ran 3 VMs of this virtualized platform on each Mini easily per the last time I spoke to them.  I figured if I got the newest MAC Pro, despite not getting the 12 core, that I should be ok to go for the full 12 VMs on the single box if I got the full 64GB RAM.  I was also alluded to those VMs needing only 2GB RAM each and very minimal vCPU power.  I really appreciate your info, since they left I am unable to reach out to the only person to have done this.  The Pro will not be running anything else on it when all of the VMs are fired up so I think I can get going with just a bit more advice on versions to seek out to download.  Again, thank you very much and thanks to all others responding too.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Fusion 5.0 or 6.0 can be used to install ESXi. If the VMs are not running much load, then you can manage the setup with hardware you have planned. However I think the minimum required RAM for ESXi is 4 GB.

As for ESXi version you can choose from 5.0 or later, ESXi 5.5 Update 1 being the latest. Here is a KB which shows how to do this, and more information on such setup.

VMware KB: Installing ESXi in VMware Fusion

0 Kudos
whyphy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That's awesome info.  So when I install ESXi and I go to allocate CPU & RAM, do I give ESXi the max or give that the min then allocate vCPU & RAM to each VM inside of the ESXi?  I believe I understand the right thing to do here but I want to validate.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

When you install ESXi in a VM, you will first create a VM (like container for that). You can allocate the resources for this ESX in its VM settings (Customize settings). All this happens in Fusion.

Once you got ESXi installed in the step above, you have to use vSphere Client to connect to the ESXi VM. Then you can create and manage the actual VMs. Hope my explanation is clear.

0 Kudos
whyphy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have a good feeling once I get there it will be 100%.  I do have enough to move on, just actually found Fusion 7 Pro which outlines allocation for up to the 64GB for the new MACs.  Run Windows on Mac with VMware Fusion Pro | United States Thanks again!