VMware Cloud Community
VCP2009
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

MAC Address with VMXNET 3

I have upgraded vm tools, hardware and network adapter on vm. For application purposes I need the old mac address manually set on this vm

Is there a way to manually set a mac address after changing network adapter to VMXNET 3? I have tried the VM KB post for changing mac address and the vm reverts back to the incorrect mac.

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

If a windows guest, can you just set the MAC within the Guest OS?

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Hello.

Which kb (or approach) did you use?  If it is a Windows guest, you can try changing the adapter properties and setting the MAC there.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
VCP2009
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry. It is a Windows 2003 32 bit OS. I have tried changing the MAC manually and it blue screens the server.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

Sorry. It is a Windows 2003 32 bit OS. I have tried changing the MAC manually and it blue screens the server.

like below?

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
VCP2009
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Similar. I actually have a MAC address option in Advanced settings.

0 Kudos
VCP2009
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

KB Article: 507

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

when setting it in WIndows, you can't use the colons (:) are you?

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Maybe not a solution, but more of a workaround - Does this VM require the VMXNET3 adapter, or can you go with the e1000?

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
VCP2009
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I was able to get it set in the advanced settings however when I enter a showmac from the command prompt it states the old mac address. I'm having the application owner test.

0 Kudos
VCP2009
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This might be a good option if we can't get it working. However we'd like to keep everything on VMXNET 3 if possible.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

I was able to get it set in the advanced settings however when I enter a  showmac from the command prompt it states the old mac address. I'm  having the application owner test.

If you've upgraded the virtual hardware the "old NIC" is probably still present within device manager.  Uninstall the old NIC.

See below (make sure you run the first tow command from a command prompt and not the run command)

1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd.exe, and then press ENTER.
  2. Type set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1, and then press ENTER.
  3. Type Start DEVMGMT.MSC, and then press ENTER.
  4. Click View, and then click Show Hidden Devices.
  5. Expand the Network Adapters tree.
  6. Right-click the dimmed network adapter, and then click Uninstall.
VCP2009
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There were quite a few NICs that needed deleted, but this didn't resolve the problem. The MAC is sticking on advanced settings, however will not change when doing a getmac.

0 Kudos
halibut
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos
VCP2009
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have tried this and the MAC address reverts back after reboot.

0 Kudos
halibut
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Can you create a secondary VMXNET3 vNIC and provide it that MAC?

0 Kudos
VCP2009
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The application owner has decided to get a license key with the new mac address. No further troubleshooting will be permitted.

Thank you all for your help! 

0 Kudos