VMware Cloud Community
raiders_of_the_
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Luns in VmWare vCenter 6.0

Hi All,

I'm using vmware vcenter 6.0. I'm trying to discover luns seen by ESX hosts using VmWare Power CLI cmdlets.

I see that some luns are returned as :

naa.600a09804d5345626124467a3349316f

naa.5000c500174cc4ff

naa.600a09804d5345626124467a33493170

While some are:

mpx.vmhba32:C0:T0:L0

mpx.vmhba32:C0:T0:L0

Why is this difference in naming? Do they indicate different types etc?

Also I'm getting null for RunTimeName for these luns. Why is that?

Thanks a lot for your help.

sinhaa

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
martinriley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi there,

naa.xxxxxxxx is a SCSI inquiry ID and mpx.vmhba is a path-based ID.

Essentially it's ESXi assigning unique identifiers to storage devices, typically mpx.vmhba is a local device and naa.xxxx is shared storage, naa.xxxxx IDs are unique and persistent across all your hosts in order to ensure consistency across the cluster so whichever host you query the naa.xxxxxx IDs should always refer to the same device.  The mpx.vmhba IDs are local and so assumed to be unique to each host.

As far as I'm aware the runtime name represents the name of the first path to a device, might be worth checking your paths to your devices.  What PowerCLI commands are you using?  Might help to figure out why you're seeing the null values.

Hope that helps

vM

-----------------------

VCAP-DCD / VCAP-DCA / VCP-CLOUD / VCP-DT / VCP5 / VCP4

-----------------------

vMustard.com

View solution in original post

3 Replies
martinriley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi there,

naa.xxxxxxxx is a SCSI inquiry ID and mpx.vmhba is a path-based ID.

Essentially it's ESXi assigning unique identifiers to storage devices, typically mpx.vmhba is a local device and naa.xxxx is shared storage, naa.xxxxx IDs are unique and persistent across all your hosts in order to ensure consistency across the cluster so whichever host you query the naa.xxxxxx IDs should always refer to the same device.  The mpx.vmhba IDs are local and so assumed to be unique to each host.

As far as I'm aware the runtime name represents the name of the first path to a device, might be worth checking your paths to your devices.  What PowerCLI commands are you using?  Might help to figure out why you're seeing the null values.

Hope that helps

vM

-----------------------

VCAP-DCD / VCAP-DCA / VCP-CLOUD / VCP-DT / VCP5 / VCP4

-----------------------

vMustard.com

prashanthbgoud
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

this link should give you more understaning -> VMware vSphere 5.1

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful" Best Regards, Prashanth
raiders_of_the_
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks a lot for the help.

sinhaa

0 Kudos