ESXi

View Only
  • 1.  Lost esxi install, need to import from local storage

Posted Feb 06, 2010 08:31 PM

Hello call, the RAID 1 I had my esxi storage on crashed and I basically have to rebuild it. All my current vm were stored on a different VD but attached locally. Is ther a way to import those vm's back. If I remember correctly When I attach local storage vmware erases the drive and formats is, since this VD is already formatted via vmfs I'm hoping to bring all my vm's back. Any helop is appreciated. I've been googling and all I find is stuff for san storage.

• 2.  RE: Lost esxi install, need to import from local storage
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 06, 2010 08:46 PM

ESXi won't automatically format your storage, except maybe at install. If you can take the volume offline during install or remove it completely during install, then you should be safe. Just re-attach it after install and boot up the host. It should find the storage during boot-up scans and add it to your datastores. If it's not there then it might be seen as a snapshot lun, you will know that when you start the create datastore wizard. Don't complete the wizard if it doesn't see it already as you might reformat your datastore.

• 3.  RE: Lost esxi install, need to import from local storage

Posted Feb 06, 2010 08:52 PM

cool, I'll try that and see how it works then get back to you.