VMware Cloud Community
ranjitcool
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Lost all multipaths to RDM issue

Running esxi4.1

I have a vm which has hard disk 1 - vmfs 150gb and hard disk 2 - RDM physical mode - 300gb.

They both live on LUN - Serverlun which is 600GB sized.

When I look in the vm contents this is what I see.

$ ls

VM_srv1.vmx           
VM_srv1.vmxf          
VM_srv1-flat.vmdk      <----150GB hard disk 1
VM_srv1_1-rdmp.vmdk <----- RDM 300GB
VM.nvram         
VM_srv1_1.vmdk   <----RDM vmdk file?
VM_srv1.vmdk      
VM_srv1.vmsd      

I wanted to vmotion but vmotion said it didnt have access to rdm. I tried to cold vmotion same thing. I then saw in manage paths - one dead path - rescanned the datastore - and since then it says no multipaths and cannot get to it.

What is going on here?

Please advice

Please award points if you find my answers helpful Thanks RJ Visit www.rjapproves.com
0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The RDM file you see is only a mapping file which points to the actual RAW LUN. You need to present the 300GB LUN to all hosts in the same way you present the 600GB LUN on which you have your VMFS datastore!

André

0 Kudos
ranjitcool
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Okay, where does it show me the RDM luns?

I dont find it in the storage devices, it shows only vmfs partitions, shall I look at storage adapters?

please advice.

I am confused, because In the san i dont see a lun that is 300gb, and nothing changed since yesterday and yesterday was when the system was access well.

Please advice

Thanks

RJ

Please award points if you find my answers helpful Thanks RJ Visit www.rjapproves.com
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Okay, where does it show me the RDM luns?

You will see the LUNs presented to the host in "Configuration" -> "Storage" when selecting the vmhbaXX. In case of iSCSI you may also want to check the iSCSI discovery address you configured.

I am confused, because In the san i dont see a lun that is 300gb, and nothing changed since yesterday and yesterday was when the system was access well.

A RDM is a LUN mapped to a VM as a Raw Device Map. If you don't have a 300 GB LUN on your storage, then there's something strange going on.

André

PS: Unless you find the 300 GB LUN, please attach the RDM's header vmdk file (VM_srv1_1.vmdk) to your next post.

0 Kudos
ranjitcool
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

VM rdm header file

# Disk DescriptorFile
version=1
CID=8ba7952f
parentCID=ffffffff
createType="vmfsPassthroughRawDeviceMap"
# Extent description
RW 629145600 VMFSRDM "VM_srv1_1-rdmp.vmdk"
# The Disk Data Base
#DDB
ddb.deletable = "true"
ddb.toolsVersion = "0"
ddb.adapterType = "lsilogic"
ddb.geometry.sectors = "63"
ddb.geometry.heads = "255"
ddb.geometry.cylinders = "39162"
ddb.uuid = "60 00 C2 9a 0f d8 37 70-91 5e 49 48 b0 76 2c 00"
ddb.virtualHWVersion = "4"
ddb.encoding = "UTF-8"
ddb.longContentID = "5b3b88db819301910383dcde8ba7952f"
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Ok, this file looks ok. To find out what's going on, please open the VM's settings and select the RDM disk. In the right upper pane you should find the LUN (vml...) which is attached as the RDM. Please verify whether you can see this LUN on both hosts in Configuration/Storage.

André

0 Kudos