VMware Cloud Community
jvanspeybroek
Contributor
Contributor

Lost access to volume <volume name> due to connectivity issues.

Hi all,

Our ESX4i servers who are running on blade technology are spamming errors from yesterday evening, I have searched the internet, found a lot of similar problems but not in any solution my esx environment was satisfied.

The well known error I am talking about is :

Lost access to volume 496befed-1c79c817-6beb-001ec9b60619 (san-lun-100) due to connectivity issues. Recovery attempt is in progress and outcome will be reported shortly.

after some time the connection is restored...

When using the Ask-VMWare button, I was able to troubleshoot my SAN network, I thought I found the issue (one of the blades was reporting a lot of DWORD errors, so we did a shutdown on this blade, the errors were not spawning anymore, after we rebooted the blade they were back, so we did a nicely shutdown and went to sleet.

This morning when coming back we noticed that again the error has appeared. The strange this is that it is random on the volumes, even scratch volumes (who are not shared between several hosts) are experiencing the same issue.

Does anybody have a straight answer on this issue?

I really have the feeling that this is not disk subsystem related, but some kind of vmware heartbeat setting as mentioned is many posts...

But I really am not getting closer on this issue, everytime we think it is solved, i comes back!

HA is activated on the two clusters, DRS not.

This is one of the steps we tried, without success:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100955...

At the system log I am retrieving the following errors multiple times:

"Error","9","22/10/2010 6:00:04","symmpi","VCENTER","None","N/A","The device, \Device\Scsi\symmpi1, did not respond within the timeout period."

kind regards

Joeri

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
0 Replies