VMware Cloud Community
CIVODUL4
Contributor
Contributor

Loose network connection on Dell Switch after HA event

Hi all,

I'm having problems with my switch after High Availabilty event.

I explain :

I have two physical servers( ESXI 5.1.0 914609 ). They are linked to an MD 3200 SAS storage ).

I have a vcenter server with HA set .

I'm having problems when an hypervisor goes down. The HA migrate right the VM from the server down to the working one, but after host migration, the host have no network connectivity. The server says the network is good, the card is on but i can't ping anything.

If i reset the switch where the servers and the MD3200 are plugged, all goes good.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ClintColding
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Check out this KB: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100396...

Can you vMotion a VM from one host to the other without loosing network connectivity?

Are you inducing the failover, if so how?

Do the VM's recognize that they have a network connection after failover?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Are you using VLANS? If so make sure the physical ports the second host is using are configured properly -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
CIVODUL4
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I'm using Vlan for the Vmotion.

When i vmotion a VM from one host to another, the computer always see network, but there is no real connectivity ( can't ping or be pinged ). The VM doesn't see any network loose.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
tomtom901
Commander
Commander

Is the physical link on the cable up? If not, you might want to check STP (Spanning Tree Protocol) configuration on the switches. Set all endpoints (or ports) that go to your ESXi hosts in PortFast mode (cisco term).

0 Kudos