VMware Cloud Community
joedroider
Contributor
Contributor

Looking for recommendation to buy a cheaper NIC that works with ESXi 8.x

I am trying to setup my Dell XPS 8930 system with ESXi as a lab system. I am planning to install Windows OS guests with various configurations on it.

I hit the dreaded No Network NIC found error. Currently the system has Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2400 ethernet controller. VMWare HCL doesn't list this as supported NIC.

Googling I found that it is better to go buy a NIC that VMWare ESXi supports.

The HCL showed few hundred NICs when I selected Intel brand. I thought I ask a question here if someone has a recommendation for a NIC that works well with ESXi and doesn't cost a lot.

My budget for the NIC is $50.

Thanks for recommendations.

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Hi,

Since you mentioned it, the family of network cards of the series colloquially known as the "i350" usually work without major problems and have been marketed in various versions and by a large number of component / system manufacturers. Obviously verify that it can be physically installed on your system.

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos
joedroider
Contributor
Contributor

While searching for i350 NICs, I came across this Intel NIC: https://smile.amazon.com/Gigabit-Ethernet-Converged-Network-Compatible/dp/B074PQWQB5/ref=sr_1_3?crid...

which costs $35 and claims VMWare ESX support.

I don't see it as supported on VMWare HCL for 8.0. I am not sure if I am searching the HCL correctly or not.

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Hi,

Excuse me, I have the utmost respect for your budget limits, but I'm not going to read the "specifications" published by this or that seller which, evidently not even you have read carefully because that one explicitly says: "Does not support VMware ESXi 7.0 or above". There are many other sales channels where searching for "Intel i350" produces a fair number of results but don't expect to find items of unknown brand listed in the context of an HCL.

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos
joedroider
Contributor
Contributor

Ferdinando

I agree I deserve a slap on my arm for not paying attention. I tell my kids that their generation suffer from attention deficit. Well! I know where they got it from. 🙂

I ended up placing couple of orders on Amazon.

One for Broadcom: https://smile.amazon.com/Dual-Port-Gigabit-Ethernet-NetXtreme-BCM5720-2P/dp/B0BDRS1L13/

BCM5720 is listed in HCL.

Another for Intel i350 NIC: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B093DJX6DB/?th=1

Lets see how they work out.

I appreciate your help

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Hi,

No, you don't deserve a "slap", it happens to everyone, IMHO what we now call "attention deficit" is a consequence of these modern times that lead us to "replace" (and sometimes trusting too much) with the so-called technology what was once some common practical sense. Either way, you shouldn't run into problems with one or the other network card.

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos