VMware Cloud Community
James2000k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Looking for idea how to set up first ESXi server so that i can virtualize an outdated server

Hello All

I am new to the VMware although I have taken the VCP boot camp I am interested in knowing what's the best route to take in setting up first VMware network.

Currently there is nothing in house that is running VMware but I want the company to look at investing in it but I want to keep budget low. We have a slow server that needs to be replaced but is it faster to buy maybe a new server and install ESXi on that server then create a virtual server for the physical machine or can I purchase a SAN and install ESXi on that and then virtualize the machine.  Or are both of these ideas not the best route

:smileygrin:

9 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

You will need to purchase server to run ESXi - a SAN is beneficial in that shared storage allows you to enhance your environment with High Availability (HA) and will allow you to take advantage of technologies like vMotion and Distributed Resource Scheduler (DRS) - if you want to start cheap I would stand up a copy the Free Hypervisor -Free VMware vSphere Hypervisor, Free Virtualization (ESXi) | United States

This will allow you to setup an ESXi server and virtualize you existing physical server using VMware's Standalone Converter another free piece of software - as you grow the environment you can simply replace the free license with a purchased one and not lose anything -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
srinivas143
Contributor
Contributor

Please go with Purchase Any Server Dell/HP any other brand Rack is good with low budget no need to buy a shared storage as of now, with around 8-32 GB Ram with Large Datastore 1/2/4 TB.

install Any latest version  ESXi Free hypervisor and connect your hypervisor with vsphere client than create VMS.

when your increasing your environment you can go with Vcenter and Licensed Version of ESXi.

0 Kudos
srinivas143
Contributor
Contributor

I Suggest to buy Dell Poweredge R710 Hardware which is good.

0 Kudos
James2000k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I see so make the investment into a rack server...(what would be a ball park price range).  Also wouldn't I want to purchase a license the minute I install it on that new server or is there a trail period I have to test it for..

0 Kudos
James2000k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

why do you suggest this particular brand server Srinivas143

0 Kudos
srinivas143
Contributor
Contributor

we are using mostly Dell Servers..

if you wanted to go with Dell Servers than compare to Dell Poweredge R210, R510 dell poweredge R710 is good.. in future if you wanted to increase Memory its possible it supports a lot..

and you can find this model in Vmware HOL list, you can simple download General VMware ESXi ISO and install in this machine no other drivers or specific Vendor version not required. 

0 Kudos
srinivas143
Contributor
Contributor

if your plan is only 1 Physical Server, than no need to buy ESXI License..

ESXI License is only required when your Adding that ESXi Machine to Vcenter.

it wont expires it will work as free license...

0 Kudos
JLackman
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I would buy HP, they also support a lot of memory. Or IBM. Or Cisco. Brand names are like talking politics, everybody has their favorite.

0 Kudos
ClintColding
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

weinstein5 wrote:

You will need to purchase server to run ESXi - a SAN is beneficial in that shared storage allows you to enhance your environment with High Availability (HA) and will allow you to take advantage of technologies like vMotion and Distributed Resource Scheduler (DRS) - if you want to start cheap I would stand up a copy the Free Hypervisor -Free VMware vSphere Hypervisor, Free Virtualization (ESXi) | United States

This will allow you to setup an ESXi server and virtualize you existing physical server using VMware's Standalone Converter another free piece of software - as you grow the environment you can simply replace the free license with a purchased one and not lose anything -

I second this suggestion. Since this is new to you I think it would be best to start out with a single rack server and utilize the free version of vSphere ESXi. As you learn more and are ready to add more functionality you can do so utilizing the server you've already purchased and just replace the free license with the version of your choice depending on requirements. A single rack server and the free version of ESXi will do what you are asking.

0 Kudos