VMware Cloud Community
AirtonArantes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Looking for advices about my Lab with ESXi 5 Free

Hello everyone,

I would like to know if I need any license to just to do virtualize machines in my scenario.

My goals:

• Just virtualize Machines, I won't use any virtualization features, I wanna just the availability to virtualize my machines, I don't care about centralized management or vmotion. I know that this in production environment isn't a good practice, but as I said, I wanna just to up my machines.

Here I'm showing my lab structure:

Servers:

• I have 2 servers with the following config:
    • Intel Xeon  2630 V2
    • Motherboard S2600CP2
    • 64GB RAM
    • 4 HDs 1TB
    • 1 HD SSD 240GB
    • 2 NICs 10/100/1000 integrated in MotherBoard
  • I have 1 server with the following config:
    • Intel Xeon 1356 - E5 24 07v2V2
    • MotherBoard Intel S2400SC2
    • 64GB RAM
    • 1 HD TB
    • 2 NICs 10/100/1000 integrated in MotherBoard     

Switches

All Switches used will be from Juniper Networks

• Spines:
    • 2 Switches with the following port config:
      • 24 QSFP+ ports
  • Leafs
    • 3 Switches with  the following port config:
      • 48 SFP/SFP+ ports
      • 2 QSFP+ uplinks to be conected on Spines switches

You can see a resume of my demo lab at file attached "lab.PNG"

My doubts:

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IIIusion
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Disclaimer: This is not legal advise and you are not my client. My TAM confirmed that you can use unlimited ESXi licenses for your current configuration without any issues. Please login to VMware portal and request your ESXi unlimited licenses. Don't forget that you will need paid licenses if in future you will decide to deploy vCenter to manage these hosts and use advanced features like HA, vMotion. Feel free to ask other questions.

Don't forget to mark your topic resolved if you got right answer. Thank you! Regards Ray

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
IIIusion
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

In your case if you will not use vMotion or HA or any features of vCenter everything depends on the usage. If this is private lab and you don't use it for your business then probably you can get unlimited ESXi license. However if you get profit and use these VMs for your company you probably need to buy the license. If you want I can ask this question from my VMware TAM (unofficially of course).

Don't forget to mark your topic resolved if you got right answer. Thank you! Regards Ray
AirtonArantes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you Illusion, will be 100% as you said, we will not have any virtual server in production and incluse the servers will be turned off when we aren't using and would be great of get an answer of your TAM.

0 Kudos
IIIusion
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Disclaimer: This is not legal advise and you are not my client. My TAM confirmed that you can use unlimited ESXi licenses for your current configuration without any issues. Please login to VMware portal and request your ESXi unlimited licenses. Don't forget that you will need paid licenses if in future you will decide to deploy vCenter to manage these hosts and use advanced features like HA, vMotion. Feel free to ask other questions.

0 Kudos