VMware Cloud Community
rhap4boy
Contributor
Contributor

Logs are stored on non-persistent storage error message at console

When I try to install VMware ESXi 5.0.0 Release Build 469512 on HP ProLiant BL465c G1, I get the following error message on console after booting to the install CD and hitting F11 to begin,

"Logs are stored on non-persistent storage.  Consult product documentation to configure a syslog server or a scratch partition."

I only have two 146GB hard drives mirrored in RAID 1 configuration. No SAN.

Any idea why?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Madmax01
Expert
Expert

Hello,

i have same Problem.

first i hade lot of Command Blocking errors. after that i re/created the Local Logical Volume.

Then the Errors where away. and it booted from PXE.

But it take long time after the Install Process starting.

i't hanging long time with the Red Error on the Screen same like you.

And after a time i get the Install window.

Looks very strrange.

ESX4 is working normally.

Best regards

Max

0 Kudos
MrWebb
Contributor
Contributor

Been seeing this with some new RAID setups that are ordered without Operating Systems installed from the manufacturer.  Bad or smal FAT table, just reinitialize the RAID and it goes away.

0 Kudos
krishnams
Contributor
Contributor

There is no harm, once you complete the installation, it will go away.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
kastlr
Expert
Expert

Hi,

the following VMware article does contain additional information about this behavior.

Creating a persistent scratch location for ESXi

Kind regards,

Ralf

Hope this helps a bit.
Greetings from Germany. (CEST)
0 Kudos
MrWebb
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately no, what our customers are seeing is that with with the Win95 fat32 partition,

1.  with embedded installations, the local storage with this partition will not mount.

2. installing from the CD or mounted ISO, the installation will not proceed.

in both cases booting to the Raid controller, and reinitializing the array resolved both situations.

0 Kudos
parkerv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Does anyone know how to "re-initialize' the array?  I have rebuild the array using an bootable ISO that takes me to the HP ACU.  i blew away the existing raid 1 and recreated it.  would this do the same thing?

0 Kudos
MrWebb
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure on the HP, the Dell systems we either boot to the RAID Controller and F2 the controller to clear the configuration and then create a new Virtual Disk, the initialize is either part of the advanced screen when creating the raid or you can F2 the Virtual Disk an select initialize there;  Or using Open manage do pretty much the same thing.

Main thing is to clear the configuration to get rid of any metadata that contains references to previous partitions or potential predictive fail counters.

Patrick Webb

0 Kudos
EXPRESS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Guys,

I am in the same boat now, see pic attached. What was the resolution for this? I boot using a USB i recreated the USB as well but to no avail.

1st pic everything looks like a normal re/install

2nd pic the error which i had to record to catch it because it flashes so fast

3rd at this screen i cant do anything the keyboard is now not usable. 

photo1.jpgphoto 3.jpgPhotoLast.jpg

Thank you, Express
0 Kudos
Gleed
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

When you install ESXi, the installer will attempt to claim ~4GB of local disk space to use for the "scratch" partition (gets mounted under /scratch).  If the installer is unable to find ~4GB of free space, then it will place scratch on RAMDISK (in which case /scratch gets linked to /var/tmp).  Scratch is used primarily for storing log files, but also has other uses. 

The warning is telling you that in your case "scratch" is in RAMDISK and advising you that you should change this to a persistent storage location.  The host will run fine with scratch in memory, however,  each time you reboot you will lose your logs.  Hence the recommendation to move scratch to a persistent location.

I can think of a few reasons why the installer may fail to create a "scratch" partition:

1.  The installer will not create scratch on a USB/SD (as these devices are write sensitive, the installer avoids using them for scratch).

2.  The host was an ESX host that has been upgraded to ESXi.

3.  There is no local storage (i.e. stateless ESXi (auto deploy).

4.  The installer fails to recognize a local disk device as local.

Regardless the cause, understand the installation is fine and the host will run w/out issue.  But you should take steps to relocate the scratch to a persistent datastore.  For more info please refer to:

Cannot Change ESXi “Scratch” Location With Auto Deploy 5.0 | VMware vSphere Blog...

Booting ESXi off USB/SD | VMware vSphere Blog - VMware Blogs

Regards,

-Kyle

0 Kudos
EXPRESS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the write up Kyle. The thing is this was an existing build which was working just fine until last week when power was lost and seemed to have messed up my USB with error 33 inconsistent data. I found many blogs suggesting to create a new media which i did, but i am stuck with the above issue now. I can't continue after the third screenshot above because i am unable to use the keyboad. I thought i read somewhere that it stated that the raid needs to be redone?!

😕

Thank you, Express
0 Kudos
Gleed
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

So you're booting into the installer, but once you get to the welcome screen the keyboard is non-responsive?  This has nothing to do with the "scratch" location.

Are you installing via iLO or some other kind of remote console?  The only time I've had keyboard related issues when installing ESXi is when installing over a remote consoles.  From experience, when I do have keyboard issues I've found it usually boils down to needing to use IE vs. Firefox or Chrome.

0 Kudos
EXPRESS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Gleed, I m going stright into the console, I'm booting into the installer via USB. I thought it may have been my keyboard and changed it as well but to no avail. Once the installer gets to that second screenshot i posted above i notice the Num Lock light on the keyboard turns off and that is it for the keyboard. All i need to is have access so i can continue the reinstall. Not sure what else to try...

Thank you, Express
0 Kudos
EXPRESS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well, i finally got in and i am up and running again though i had to sacrafic my vm's, moved the keyboard around to a non 3.0 usb connection, and i was able to finish the install.

Thank you, Express
0 Kudos