VMware Cloud Community
FelixCent
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Logical processors esxi

Hi everyone.

I know that there are a lot of documentation about the issue, but all this information is making me feel even more confused.:smileyplain:

The question is simple:  " in esxi 5.5"

• NO HyperThreading
  • Intel Xeon CPU E5-2407 v2
  • processor socket 1
  • Cores per socket 4
  • Logical processors 4.

How many virtuals machines can I run?

As I understand just 4.One per logical Processors.  But I am running 5,,,so I do not understand properly the issue.

Thanks everyone

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
schepp
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

the amount of VMs you can run is more limited by the amount of RAM you allocate to the VMs, since every VM you start needs at least some RAM to boot.

ESXi has no problem with using a logical core for multiple VMs.

When you create more and more VMs, each logical core will have to serve X vCPUs. If this is good or not depends on your applications and their need for ressources.

I'm running up to 5 vCPUs per logical core in our environment and it's running fine since the applications don't need much CPU time.

Tim

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
schepp
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi,

the amount of VMs you can run is more limited by the amount of RAM you allocate to the VMs, since every VM you start needs at least some RAM to boot.

ESXi has no problem with using a logical core for multiple VMs.

When you create more and more VMs, each logical core will have to serve X vCPUs. If this is good or not depends on your applications and their need for ressources.

I'm running up to 5 vCPUs per logical core in our environment and it's running fine since the applications don't need much CPU time.

Tim

0 Kudos
FelixCent
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much Tim.

This answer make me really happy.

0 Kudos
Jam1eG
Contributor
Contributor