VMware Cloud Community
jrapine
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Logging Level for VPXA and HOSTD Logs

Hello All,

I'd like some input from other VMware admins with regards to logging level for VPXA and HOSTD logs. It appears the default logging level for these are set to "verbose" however I've read in VMware KB articles that it is not recommended to leave logging at verbose level for production systems as it may cause performance problems. I opened a ticket with support about this and was told there is no recommendation either way, the default is OK but if I'd like to change the level it is OK as well.

So now looking to see how others have this configured. What is the general consensus regarding logging level for VPXA and HOSTD? Has anyone encountered problems by leaving this set to verbose?

Any input is appreciated!

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SureshKumarMuth
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Log Level. For ESXi/ESX 4.0 and later, the default log level is verbose. For ESXi/ESX 3.5 and earlier, the default level is info.

I have seen almost every environment is running with default option which does not create any performance issues much. However, reducing it can be done but during analysis it may not give enough information to find the cause of the issue. I would suggest to leave it as default option.

for vcenter its different default is info , when you increase it to verbose you may see some performance lag in vc however it depends on the overall load on VC.

Regards,
Suresh
https://vconnectit.wordpress.com/

View solution in original post

1 Reply
SureshKumarMuth
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Log Level. For ESXi/ESX 4.0 and later, the default log level is verbose. For ESXi/ESX 3.5 and earlier, the default level is info.

I have seen almost every environment is running with default option which does not create any performance issues much. However, reducing it can be done but during analysis it may not give enough information to find the cause of the issue. I would suggest to leave it as default option.

for vcenter its different default is info , when you increase it to verbose you may see some performance lag in vc however it depends on the overall load on VC.

Regards,
Suresh
https://vconnectit.wordpress.com/