VMware Cloud Community
kaashifVTech
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Lock a VMDK

Hi,

I need to share a Virtual machine with a customer for POC purposes, that Virtual machine contains fully functional application. How can I restrict customer from distribution or Can I lock the VMDK so that it can only be used where I want. Can I make .VMDK password protected?

Thanks in Advance!

Regards,

Kaashif

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mediawide
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hi,

it's true you can't do anythink becouse that server located in Client Place and client hvaing full access i mean they have Physical access. if u did some thing they can change easely. you only do with Application level if you want to do any changes..

Thanks

Durgesh

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Chandan1677
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Kaashif,

To Give Access to the Individual VM , you can go ahead with the Administrator\Roles\Create new Role and give him access as per your requirement .But when it comes to Lock and Unlocking a VMDK File , i hope it is more a Complicated way of going. But i have few easy solutions to the same .

1. Use a Snapshot Concept where you take a Snapshot of the user VM before Handing over the Server and once he has finished his work , if you require you can hold back or Delete it as per your Convinience .

2.Or Else you can just remove the Respective Hard Disk X or Y or Z just from Inventory and you will be aware of the path where is stored and you can add it back as per your Convinience .

Hope when you have easy ways of getting things done from the GUI , why are you going ahead with complications of Locking and Unlocking the VMDK .

If you are not ok with the above answer , pls let me know more details about your environment , as i would be HAPPY to share some Knowledge with you !!!

"Life is Boring without Challenges & Risks Taken in Daily Life"
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello,

kaashifVTech wrote:

How can I restrict customer from distribution or Can I lock the VMDK so that it can only be used where I want. Can I make .VMDK password protected?

As far as I know, you can't. Basically you can compare it with temporarily putting some hardware at your customers office. There's nothing you can do against them cloning the disks as they have physical access.

This is similar, there's nothing you can do against them copying your virtual machine.

If there is a mechanism, then you best built it into the application, like a checking online if the application is still allowed to run.

In my opinion, the best protection is a legal one....

If such a protection exists, then it is in VMware Studio, check out the documentation here:

http://www.vmware.com/appliances/getting-started/learn/vmware_studio.html

Hope this helps,

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
mediawide
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hi,

it's true you can't do anythink becouse that server located in Client Place and client hvaing full access i mean they have Physical access. if u did some thing they can change easely. you only do with Application level if you want to do any changes..

Thanks

Durgesh

0 Kudos