VMware Cloud Community
ekisner
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Local Storage Not Detected on Install

Just got a couple new hosts in, HP DL380 G7s... using Smart Array P410i controllers.

When I boot into the CD to begin the install, it's only seeing my FC storage, none of my local storage.

• Physically, there are two 146GB disks in raid 1+0.  From those 2 physical disks, there is one logical drive in RAID 1+0.  After it didn't detect the storage, I deleted the logical drive and recreated it, with no change in the result.
  • BIOS is set to use the SA P410i controller first.
  • SA P410i shows up in the VMware HCL for every version from 3.5 to 5 U2.
  • Am in the process of downloading firmware released on May 5 2011, but these servers came pre-assembled with a burn-in done already, and I imagine that the firmware is already up to date as of this latest release - will definitely find out when the download finishes.

I'm obviously doing something silly and dumb, but I can't see what I'm doing wrong.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

There's basically not much you can do wrong and from what you write about setting up the RAID everything should be fine. Can you confirm that the logical volume is detected by the RAID controller during boot?

When you install ESXI the volume - although local - will most likely show up under remote storage. Can you also confirm it does not show up at all?

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ekisner
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

5/5/2011 firmware tested and confirmed to be up to date.  Firmware updates appear to be off the table.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

There's basically not much you can do wrong and from what you write about setting up the RAID everything should be fine. Can you confirm that the logical volume is detected by the RAID controller during boot?

When you install ESXI the volume - although local - will most likely show up under remote storage. Can you also confirm it does not show up at all?

André

0 Kudos
ekisner
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sigh.. and there would be the silly/dumb thing I did (or did not do).

I just unplugged the FC storage, restarted the install, and the storage was still showing up - which means that it's obviously the local storage, even though it does show up as remote in the install.

I've never seen local storage with the naa.123456789123456789 style of extent listed before... only something such as mpx.vmhba1:aa:bb:cc...

Glad it was a simple fix, install is proceeding nicely.  Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos