VMware Cloud Community
shahb
Contributor
Contributor

Local Esxi User Privilege

Hi,

We have issue with disk alignment. Our datastores are on NetApp. I created a local user on ESXi host and want to give the following permissions so user can :

1) SSH to ESXi Host

2) Run mbrtool to align the disk on the VMs.

I do not want to give administrator privileges to the user. So far I gave Virtual Machine - > Provisioning -> Allow Disk Access. I'm not if this is sufficient to run the mbralign tool and also I don't how to give SSH access to the local ESXi user.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vuzzini
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Shahb,

Did you try to launch vSphere client connection directly to ESXi host and select the tab Local Users & Groups. When adding a local user, there is an option to grant shell access to the local user. You may go through the video Grant Shell Access for VMware ESXi - YouTube . You must give VM create/edit access to this user on cluster level, please refer to the KB article http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2004087 for more information on running mbralign tool on ESXi.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. Sandeep Vuzzini Sr. DevOps Engineer
0 Kudos
shahb
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your quick response. Actually I did select that when I created user and still it didn't allow user to SSH to the host. I've attached the screenshot of create user screen.

Also /etc/security/access.conf shows hyphen instead of plus which some search on google mentioned it should plus to have shell access.

-:norma:ALL

0 Kudos