VMware Cloud Community
chrisnenzel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Local Datastore on ESXi 6.5 question

I have an older HP Proliant DL360 G7 running ESXi 6.5 that I've obtained some additional discs for, have inserted them into the server, extended the array to 2.6 or so TB but the local datastore is still showing the original 400 or so GB that it originally was.  When I tell the ESXi server to extend the datastore ESXi does not find any free space to do so.

Would appreciate a step by step on how to accomplish this, if possible, without restarting the entire ESXi install from scratch...  This is my home lab and I do not currently have a VCSA deployed in it.

Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

How did you resize the partition, after expanding the RAID/logical volume?

To me it looks like the partition has been expanded, but not the file system itself, i.e. step13 from the KB article is missing!?

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
SupreetK
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Please check the KB VMware Knowledge Base​.

Cheers,

Supreet

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Did you expand the logical volume too, after expanding the RAID in the ACU?

In case you expanded both - RAID, and logical volume - you should see the new size in the vSphere Client's GUI.

If you have only a single logical volume on which you've also installed ESXi, you'll need to follow the steps in the KB that SupreetK​ posted to expand the datastore.

If you want to be able to create a datastore from the GUI, consider creating a second logical volume rather than expanding the existing one.

André

0 Kudos
chrisnenzel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks.  I believe I did that after the RAID array was completely rebuilt.  the partedUtil output is confusing to me though...

Steps_1-5.png

0 Kudos
chrisnenzel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Here's the view of the datastore and devices in the storage section of ESXi's GUI. 

Datastores.png

The datastore shows 410GB free...

Devices.png

The device it's on shows 2.46TB capacity. 

...and a partition diagram of:

Patition.png

0 Kudos
SureshKumarMuth
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

what does df -h show ?

Regards,
Suresh
https://vconnectit.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

... the partedUtil output is confusing to me though...

That's because you ran the command for a partition, rather than for the device itself. Please run the command again without the partition ("...:1") number.

Also note that with ESXi 4.1, and later use "getptbl" instead of "get".

partedUtil getptbl "/vmfs/devies/..."

partedUtil getUsableSectors "/vmfs/devies/..."

André

0 Kudos
Ardaneh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi

We had the same problem and the solution for us was to use ESXi URL instead of VC WebClient. so if you are using a VC and your hosts join to a VC, try to extend your DS by using the esxi web url itself.

0 Kudos
chrisnenzel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Here's the output of partedUtil get and getptlb:

Steps_1-5_take_two.png

and the output of df -h:

DF_-h.png

I extended the Array with the BIOS array manager... Is there another step needed to extend the volume?  If so is there an HP ACU utility I can add to ESXi to do this?

This is a stand-alone host... No vCenter... just my lab environment.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

How did you resize the partition, after expanding the RAID/logical volume?

To me it looks like the partition has been expanded, but not the file system itself, i.e. step13 from the KB article is missing!?

André

0 Kudos
chrisnenzel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks.  That was indeed the missing step!

DatastoresAfterStep13.png

0 Kudos