VMware Cloud Community
mak14
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Local Datastore not visible in ESXi

Hello,

I recently updated from 6.5 u3 to 7.0 u3. I no longer see a local datastore on a few hosts after upgrading, although I see a local datastore on other hosts running ESXi 7.0u3.

2x M.2 SSDs is 256 GB. (where ESXI OS residing)

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Hi,

Excuse me, would you like to tell us what kind of host we are talking about and what kind of image (and build) did you use to update them?

Regards,
Ferdinando

A note: I hope you have checked the compatibility status of your hardware and the firmware level of the same before proceeding with the update, just to avoid unpleasant surprises from the beginning.

0 Kudos
mak14
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Kinnison,

Thank you for responding.

VMware vSAN Ready nodes (Dell Servers)... and yes, I did check compatibility and it is supported.

I upgraded from 6.7 to 7.0U3 Dell customized image.

and update been done via lifecycle manager. all hosts updated successfully but some hosts doesnt show local datastore and some hosts does show local datastore ( all using same build number 7.0U3)

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Hi,

Let me ask some question, what do you mean by local datastores, that you manage some of the on-board storage with vSAN and the rest in another way? You've tried to involve the vendor, DELL and/or VMware, you don't always find the answer to every problem in a forum, it's always difficult to evaluate a specific problem from a distance without seeing it concretely and obviously without being able to get your hands on it.

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos
mak14
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Kinnison,

Thank you for reply

When I mention local datastore, I mean OS disk. vSAN ready nodes come with an M.2 SSD (ATA disks depending on configuration) in Raid-1 where we will install ESXi. In my situation, the OS drive is 256 GB, which does not appear for a few hosts after the update.

vSAN storage is completely different.

mak14_0-1673934198227.png

i will be opening a case

Based on article https://masteringvmware.com/local-datastore-not-visible-in-esxi-7/#:~:text=So%20in%20case%20of%20ESX...

if disk size more than 128 GB you should be able to see.

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Hi,

I asked you because it's been a while and I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that DELL systems equipped with a "BOSS S1" card and ESXi installed had the VMFS datastore disabled and I think it was also written in the product documentation. At least the ones (not many to be honest) I'd seen were set up that way.

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos
compdigit44
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Hi,

I think this passage from the documentation of the "BOSS S1" cards (it's the same for the BOSS S2 version as well) could somehow explain the circumstance:
https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/it-it/poweredge-t640/boss_s1_ug/vmfs-datastore-is-disabled-on-t...

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos