VMware Cloud Community
supportgt
Contributor
Contributor

Loading module megaraid_sas, ESXi 5.5, Asus H87-PLUS

Hi,

I have already installed a few servers with ESXi 5.1 on a Ivy Bridge build (I5-3470, Asus P8Z77-V LX, LSI Megaraid 9240-4i) without any problem when CSM is correctly configured in the Bios with UEFI settings.

Now I have to install ESXi 5.5 on a Haswell Build (i5-4430, H87-PLUS, LSI Megaraid 9240-4i) and even if I configure CSM in the Bios, the installer always hangs on "Loading module megaraid_sas". I also set Secureboot to "Other OS". I waited more than 30 min and  nothing changed. With ATL+F12, I can see that the RAID card is correctly detected. I also tested with ESXi 5.1 and I have the same problem. I think the problem may concern the chipset (Z77 vs H87). Maybe someone already had that issue and found a solution.

Thanks

Sebastien

0 Kudos
8 Replies
vpourchet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

did you finally get a solution ? i'm having the exact same issue on a X79 platform (P9X79 + i7 3930k). But putting CSM option to UEFI only causes my USB key not to boot 😞

if you have any idea that would be helpful Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
gadina
Contributor
Contributor

I confirm problem.

Need fast solution !

MB - Asus H87M-Pro - latest FW

All BIOS setting in memu CSM Support are "UEFI at first.."

LSI 9240-81 - latest FW and latest driver for esxi 5.1:

Name: megaraid_sas-6.602.54.00-1464543.zip

Release Date: 2013-12-10

Build Number: 1464543

still hung on " loading module megaraid_sas  ..."

0 Kudos
gadina
Contributor
Contributor

up

0 Kudos
supportgt
Contributor
Contributor

I didn't found a solution yet.

The problem is about the module megaraid_sas. I was able to boot ESXI (installed on another SATA HDD) with the RAID card plugged in after disabling that module, but the card was not detected. After login to a SSH session, I always got errors when trying to manually start the module with the RAID card plugged in.

Had to get P8Z77 with Ivy Bridge CPU instead of Haswell build.

0 Kudos
gadina
Contributor
Contributor

thank you for answer.

Maybe we should send info about bug ?

But I don't know where..

0 Kudos
supportgt
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Vmware does not support desktop motherboards.

Asus does not support VMware for their desktop boards.

Here's LSI response to my email :

It is possible your issue is the make and model motherboard in use.  Unfortunately the MegaRAID SAS 9240 does not work with every motherboard and is more motherboard specific than any other MegaRAID Card.  Please see the hardware compatibility list below for the MegaRAID <entry line> 9240 controller.  The make and model motherboard you have is not one we recommend for use and we cannot guarantee performance if using a model that we have not tested for compatibility.  Also, most testing is done with Server/Enterprise Class motherboards.

You can test with another board model to do a comparison.  Also, please ensure the slot configuration the card is used in is appropriate.  The card should be run in a PCIe 2.0 (x8).

--

[Compatibility Report for 9240]

http://www.lsi.com/downloads/Public/RAID%20Controllers/RAID%20Controllers%20Common%20Files/MegaRAID_...

0 Kudos
gadina
Contributor
Contributor

Also I have another raid controller M1015 (LSI 9220-8i) which is analog of LSI 9240 and I successfully start esxi 5.1 on MB Asus P8B75-V without update any BIOS, FW and drivers.

Just installed raid card and turned on computer and it booted.

So I think the problem is in some incompatibility between LSI 9240 and MB and maybe firmware

Also I've tried to start esxi with 9240 on Z77, h67, h87, h61 chipsets - MB were Intel and Asus - without success.

So now I want to try 9240 with P8B75-V mobo and try to flash 9240 with FW of m1015.

0 Kudos
gadina
Contributor
Contributor

Got it !

LSI 9240-8i + ESXi 5.1 successfully started on ASUS P8B75-V !

But. It need to downgrade BIOS version. I installed BIOS ver Version  0212 from

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=P8B75-V&os=8

guide to downgrade:

Smart Tech Tips: Easy Guide : How to Downgrade ASUS Bios for all UEFI Motherboards

0 Kudos