VMware Cloud Community
eRJe
Contributor
Contributor

Load Balancing (2 pNICs - 1 VM)

Hello,

After reading, trying and mostly failing all day, I could use a push into the right direction.

I have an ESXi 5.5 host with several VM's. One of them is a file server that read/writes a lot of data over the LAN. At this moment the only NIC in the ESXi host is regularly being saturated when multiple users read/write data over the network. The ESXi host has 2 (physical) NICs installed. Can I add the second (free) pNIC to the standard vSwitch0 and theoretically double the bandwidth of the ESXi host?

The 2 physical NICs are connected to a Cisco switch (2960G-24TC-L). On the Cisco switch side I have created an EtherChannel containing the 2 ports that connect with the ESXi host. On the ESXi host side I added the free available pNIC to the vSwitch0 and enabled Load Balancing under the tab NIC Teaming. (question, is this done in both Port Group Properties and Port Properties?) I tried several configurations but none of them create Load Balancing. I do have redundancy. I can disconnect any of the 2 network cables without loosing connection. But when I monitor both connected NICs, only one of them transfers the data.

I have added a few screenshots of my setup. Hopefully anyone can give me some hints.

Thanks,

Robbert

ps my title says 2 pNICs - 1 VM because I need to balance the load for the file server mainly (1 VM). Of course the other VM's will benefit too but what I don't need is to balance the different VM's over the 2 NICs (should that be possible)

0 Kudos
1 Reply
eRJe
Contributor
Contributor

O-kay... it's working!

After a break I came back finding the 2 NICs doing load balancing. The only reason I can think of is that I did the testing to quick and short. After each config change, I started file copies over the network from several desktops. Until now I never saw any traffic on both NICs but now I do. :smileyconfused:

So... did I waist my day for nothing? I'm just gonna be happy that it works!

I'm still curious about the true meaning of the different load balancing settings in each config menu's which I attached in my 1st post as screenshots.

0 Kudos