VMware Cloud Community
SuprHasan
Contributor
Contributor

Link Aggregation Dropouts

Setting up a new environment (out first server).

We have a Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX200 S6, HP Procurve V1910-16G (web managed) and iOmega PX4-300r with 8TB

Server and NAS both have dual NICs. Server is connected to port 1 and 2 on the switch. NAS is connected to 3 and 4.

I have enabled Link Aggregation (802.3ad) on the NAS and bonded the interfaces together (see attacehd). I can ping the IP and open the web management page of the NAS.

What's the correct setting to apply on the server in VMware to enable Link Aggregation (LA)?

If I login to the switch and apply LA to the two ports that the server is connected to, I can no longer ping the server and vSphere drops out.

Same result if I enable LA on the NAS box.

Can someone steer me in the right direction? I'm kind of lost.

Thanks.

VMware NIC Config.JPG

HP Link Aggregation.JPG

NAS Link Aggregation.JPG

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community - you would have to set the load balancing on the virtual switch to Route Based on IP Hash -  since you are having communication issues to both the NAS and ESXi host I think the issue is with the configuration of the physical switch -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

It looks like you're setting the switch to do LACP.

This is not supported in VMware.

Does your switch support route by IP hash based etherchannels? Otherwise, just let your switch think it has individual connections and set the vSwitch to "route by port ID".

0 Kudos