VMware Cloud Community
mattstewartcsd
Contributor
Contributor

Limiting amount of RAM a VM uses

Hi, I have a virtual with a whopping 16GB of virtual RAM, I believe this is way to much for what the server does but the administrator of the application insists that I keep it. My questioon is, if the VM is not using all its RAM will it still hog the whole 16GB on the host or will what it doesn't use be available resource for other machine?

Also, is it possible to leave teh serevr with 16GB allocated but cap the amoung it uses to say 8gb?

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

if the server is not using the 16gb, and need another virtual machine, will be the Mamory ballon.
you can limit the use of the virtual machine, even configuring with 16GB, you can limit the use 8gb for example.

Edit Settings> Resource> Sep limit> unset unlimited (in memory)

Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. 

Mauro Bonder - Moderator

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

how aditional information i´ll post a excellent guide about management of memory http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/perf-vsphere-memory_management.pdf

Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. 

Mauro Bonder - Moderator

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos