VMware Cloud Community
vMario156
Expert
Expert

Limitations for Storage vMotion / cloning etc. ?

Hi there,

some weeks ago I was playing around in my lab with VMware View. I created a new desktop pool and from one second to another 8 VMs got deployed from a template parallel. Of course this brings your storage to the limit, especially if you have a SATA LUN for example.

At this time I was already wondering If I could set a limit on vSphere about a max. number of provisionings. I know that there are max limits from an esxi perspective, but this limits are "high enough" to nearly freeze a slow datastore Smiley Happy So it would be nice if I could set my on limits (of course best would be a bandwidth limit and not a number of concurrent actions).

Yesterday I needed to move many VMs via storage vmotion because I needed to empty some LUNs. There I got the same thougts. I think the max. number is 8 svmotions. But if i would do all 8 all other VMs on this LUN will have a really bad performance for a long time.

I wonder if Storage I/O would help here? I guess not.

(Couldnt test it because we dont have the Enterprise + Version).

Regards

Mario

Blog: http://vKnowledge.net
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Virtualinfra
Commander
Commander

As far as i know there is no limit that can be set on the SVmotion migration.But as it a manual operation you can make sure.. you migrate 1 at a time or 2 as you required to keep the storage IO in control..

In SDRS we will set limits to alert for 75% and based on that it can be done..\

Thanks & Regards Dharshan S VCP 4.0,VTSP 5.0, VCP 5.0
0 Kudos