VMware Cloud Community
munkyman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Licensing without Internet Access?

How do I license ESXi without internet access?  When trying to apply my license in the client, it tries to get online.  These servers are in a manufacturing environment and do not have internet access.

Thanks again for the help.  This community is very valuable.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BenLiebowitz
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

In the vSphere Client, have you gone to Configuration and then to Licensing?

Ben Liebowitz, VCP vExpert 2015, 2016, & 2017 If you found my post helpful, please mark it as helpful or answered to award points.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
BenLiebowitz
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Have you tried to apply the license directly on the host via the vSphere Client? 

Ben Liebowitz, VCP vExpert 2015, 2016, & 2017 If you found my post helpful, please mark it as helpful or answered to award points.
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

That's interesting. I've got several clients with secure environments, where Internet access isn't possible from the management clients, and I never had any issues with adding and assigning licenses. Do you know which Internet address it's trying to connect to? And are you adding the keys from the Windows or the Web Client (which version/build)?

André

0 Kudos
munkyman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am using the Windows based vSphere Client version 5.5.0 Build 1993072 to connect to the ESXi host.  It is trying to connect to http://www.vmware.com/info?id=987&prod=ESX&days=60 when I click on "Evaluation Mode: 60 Days remaining" in the lower right corner of the client interface.  It also tries to get online when I try Help->VMware on the web -> register now (which isn't surprising considering it's called "VMware on the web")

I haven't installed vCenter Server on the host yet.  Perhaps the web based client will allow me to add the license offline?  I am evaluating the pros and cons of the vCenter Server ISO installation package vs the appliance.

0 Kudos
BenLiebowitz
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

In the vSphere Client, have you gone to Configuration and then to Licensing?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

>>> ... when I click on "Evaluation Mode: 60 Days remaining"

Why do you want to select the evaluation mode? Once you install ESXi (as well as vCenter Server) it will run in a 60-day evaluation mode without the need to apply any license key!?

André

0 Kudos
munkyman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ahh, Ben.  Thanks that's it.  I had overlooked the "edit" link on the licensed components page. 

munkyman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I don't want the evaluation mode, as you say, it does that automatically.  The assumption was that by clicking on that message, it would let me apply the license but instead it brings up a webpage instead.

0 Kudos
BenLiebowitz
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Glad to help!

Thanks!

0 Kudos