VMware Cloud Community
ilya_ca
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Licensing question

I'm planning to purchase the ESXi 5 Essentials Kit. As far as I understand I'll be able to use 64GB of Ram on a Server that has 2 CPUs.

If I purchase two licenses of ESXi 5 Essentials Kit, will it double the amount of RAM I'll be able to use on that same server? Will I be able to use 128GB of RAM on the same server with two CPUs?

Thanks.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

As far as I understand I'll be able to use 64GB of Ram on a Server that has 2 CPUs

The Essentials Kits include licenses for vCenter Server as well as for 3 ESXi hosts with up to 2 processors each. With vCenter Server managing the host(s), you have a vRAM entitlement of 192GB (6 x 32GB), no matter whether the VMs run on 1 or 3 hosts.

If I purchase two licenses of ESXi 5 Essentials Kit, will it double the amount of RAM I'll be able to use on that same server?

No, you cannot combine Essentials Kits. From the EULA (http://www.vmware.com/download/eula/esx_esxi_eula.html)

c) VMware vSphere Essentials and VMware vSphere Essentials Plus

If you have licensed VMware vSphere Essentials or VMware vSphere Essentials Plus, the following additional license terms apply:

VMware licenses VMware vSphere Essentials or VMware vSphere  Essentials Plus editions (collectively "Editions") to you solely for  managing up to three (3) server hosts and your use of these Editions is  limited to servers with up to two processors. For these Editions, the  server hosts must be managed by the VMware vCenter Server that is  provided with these Editions, and that same VMware vCenter Server cannot  be used to manage other server hosts not included with these Editions.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

As far as I understand I'll be able to use 64GB of Ram on a Server that has 2 CPUs

The Essentials Kits include licenses for vCenter Server as well as for 3 ESXi hosts with up to 2 processors each. With vCenter Server managing the host(s), you have a vRAM entitlement of 192GB (6 x 32GB), no matter whether the VMs run on 1 or 3 hosts.

If I purchase two licenses of ESXi 5 Essentials Kit, will it double the amount of RAM I'll be able to use on that same server?

No, you cannot combine Essentials Kits. From the EULA (http://www.vmware.com/download/eula/esx_esxi_eula.html)

c) VMware vSphere Essentials and VMware vSphere Essentials Plus

If you have licensed VMware vSphere Essentials or VMware vSphere Essentials Plus, the following additional license terms apply:

VMware licenses VMware vSphere Essentials or VMware vSphere  Essentials Plus editions (collectively "Editions") to you solely for  managing up to three (3) server hosts and your use of these Editions is  limited to servers with up to two processors. For these Editions, the  server hosts must be managed by the VMware vCenter Server that is  provided with these Editions, and that same VMware vCenter Server cannot  be used to manage other server hosts not included with these Editions.

André

0 Kudos
vGrade
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You can use 192Gb RAM. No matter how many processors do you use. You can also check it with virtual configurator www.vgrade.org.

0 Kudos