VMware Cloud Community
sridharb007
Contributor
Contributor

Licensing Issue for the ESX host

Hello Team,

I was doing the VSMoton and found that I was unable to do SVmotion for one one our VM, Go an error

"Virtual Machine has 8 Virtual CPU's, But the host only supports 4. The number of Virtual CPUs may be limited by the guest OS selected for the Virtual machines or by the Licensing for the host." hence unable to migrate it. It seems to be a Licensing issue with the ESX Host.

When Checked the Host was having Enterprise Plus Upgrades License. The Other server having Enterprise Plus License was working fine.

Does 8 vcpu not support Enterprise Plus Upgrades License ?

Kindly advice

Thanks in Advance

0 Kudos
7 Replies
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

Does the host have 8 physical CPUs?

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
sridharb007
Contributor
Contributor

Attached screenshot for reference

Please help

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

What guest OS are you running - does the guest OS that you are running support more than 4 CPUs?

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

That's strange. Please select the "target" host in the inventory and select "Licensed Features" in the "Configuration" tab. Does it show "Up to 8-way virtual SMP" in the "Product Features"?

André

PS: If you are going to post a screen shot, make sure the license key is not shown!

0 Kudos
sridharb007
Contributor
Contributor

It is showing Up to 8-way virtual SMP in License Configuration in the one having Enterprise Plus Upgrade.

I see only one difference, it worked for another VM with 8 vcpus having Enterp Plus License, its only not working for Enterprise Plus Upgrads.

I have 4 ESX servers in one cluster, 2 having Enterprise Pluse and 2 having Enterpprise Pluse Upgrads, I checked it works on Enterprise Plus but not in Enterprise Plus Upgrade License.

Kindly advice

Thanks

0 Kudos
sridharb007
Contributor
Contributor

Its Windows Server 2008 64Bit.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

It shouldn't matter whether you use new or upgrade licenses, as long as you have Enterprise Plus licensed on your ESX hosts. To troubleshoot further, please double check the blades have the same firmware and BIOS settings (most important, the Processor Options).

Are you able to create a new (dummy) VM with 8 vCPUs on the hosts and power it on or do you get an error?

Are all the blades the same model with the same CPU or do you run them in an EVC enabled cluster?

Are all hosts on the same ESX patch level/build?

André

0 Kudos