VMware Cloud Community
stuartelliot201
Contributor
Contributor

Licencing - Help

I apoligise if this is in the incorrect place.

I looking for a little help

I have setup esxi on a host (128gb ram) 2cpu(10cores each) hyperthreaded i currently have 4 vm's setup on this in a evaluation.

i have also setup vCenter as i want to run Veeam backup solutions.

Do i need a licence for esxi Host & vCenter licence? if so which vCenter licence would you buy?

I am a total novice at this but been told Vmware is the future.

Thank you

Stuart Elliot

0 Kudos
5 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, you need two licenses: one for ESXi and one for vCenter. Veeam requires your host have some paid license in order to backup VMs. For small numbers of hosts, you can use "kit" licensing like Foundations or Essentials which has both types of licenses.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Well....  Veeam doesnt need a vCenter... just a licensed ESXi with enabled APIs.  But the cheapest license is the vSphere Essentials Kit which comes with 3x2CPU ESXi Lics and one vCenter Essentials Instance. So you get a vCenter.... but again its technicaly not needed from a veeam perspective. The vCenter gives you a lot of Features so go for it!

vSphere Essentials Kit costs around 470,- and 60,- for 1Y Subscription.

Regards,
Joerg

MBouillon
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Stuart,

You will need to license the ESXi host(s) as well as the vCenter server.  However, if this is for a home or test lab, take a look at the VMUG Advantage program.  For $180, you receive licesning for a number of VMware products, including vCenter Standard and ESXi.

VMUG Advantage Info:

https://community.vmug.com/vmug2019/membership/vmug-advantage-membership

0 Kudos
stuartelliot201
Contributor
Contributor

my understanding now is if I purchase the vCenter Essentials it will give me a licence for vCenter and a licence for the host.

(up to three hosts with two CPUs each)

is there a limit to VM's on this licence?

VMware vSphere Essentials Kits - Official VMWare Store

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

No the is no VM limit within the cheap vSphere Essentials Kit.

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos