VMware Cloud Community
soundman22
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

LVM.EnableResignature in ESXi 4

Help, please. After upgrading to ESXi 4 missing datastories. In the previous version was found, it was necessary to change the value LVM.EnableResignature = 1. Now through vSphere Client that can be done.

For ESX 4 solution was found here:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/211404

But how to ESXi from 4 where there is no Shell-access. Moreover, in vSphere CLI 4 also no esxcfg-volume.pl!!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

This is because you're using the free version of ESXi and the VI API is read-only access unless you purchase at least the Foundation license which will give you both read/write access, more details explained here: http://vmetc.com/2009/03/31/esxi-u4-ends-free-version-read-and-write-access-from-the-rcli/

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

VMware Code Central - Scripts/Sample code for Developers and Administrators

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

I'm pretty sure esxcfg-volume / vicfg-volume exists in the vSphere CLI, there is no longer the .pl extension, try the following:

which vicfg-volume

this should return the path to where the command is located at.

Update: Also take a look at vCLI documentation guide information regarding vicfg-volume / esxcfg-volume is explained on page 49

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

soundman22
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for your reply!

If I understood you correctly, I tried to run vicfg-volume. It did not give positive results:

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

This is because you're using the free version of ESXi and the VI API is read-only access unless you purchase at least the Foundation license which will give you both read/write access, more details explained here: http://vmetc.com/2009/03/31/esxi-u4-ends-free-version-read-and-write-access-from-the-rcli/

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

0 Kudos
soundman22
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much!

In my case, simply should not rush to enter the number of free licenses! Returning to the 60-day trial license, I was able to perform -- resignature )))

0 Kudos
vmako
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You can also re-signature existing VMFS volumes through the vSphere client using the "Add Storage" wizard in the host configuration tab > storage section.

The wizard detects the existing VMFS volume and lets you choose between:

- Re-signature volume and keep data.

- Keep existing signature and mount the volume.

- Reformat the volume.

0 Kudos