VMware Cloud Community
AjayiAnchor
Contributor
Contributor

LUN detection and Rescan issue

Issues:

1. A datastore disconnected from the ESX hosts and cannot be discover any longer.

2. Also, rescanning my for LUN from ESX hosts takes too long.

**I have a cluster of 3 ESX 4.0 and I am connecting to Netapp using FC SAN**

Who has a solution to this issue and could the two issue be linked?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes Ajay they could be linked. When you say the datastore cannot be discovered any longer, was there any changes that were made on the storage side?

Did you check the VMKernel logs to see if there is any issue with storage?

If you can upload the logs here, i can take a look and see if something went wrong.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
sebek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ajayi,

There are many thing that could happen. First of all I would investigate SAN connectivity. Can you see SAN targets (NetApp controllers) from your ESX? If not, assuming your NetApp is connected to FC switch/director and your LUNs are still configured it is zoning or igroup mapping issue. Try to check this two things first. As has said, you can always post your vmkernel log file to investigate.

Hope it helps

0 Kudos
SG1234
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

is it a single datastore or multiple luns having an issue ? does it affect all hosts in the cluster?

0 Kudos
krish290785
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

1. A datastore disconnected from the ESX hosts and cannot be discover any longer.

Can you see the device listed under Configuration->Storage->devices. If no, it might have been un-presented from the storage

2. Also, rescanning my for LUN from ESX hosts takes too long.

Rescanning depends on the number of LUNS attached to the host as well as the number of paths. Even, if it takes too long, you might want to look at the vmkernel logs to see if there are any "valid sense data" related messages towards your LUNs.

-Bala Krishna Gali If the above info is useful, please mark answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos