VMware Cloud Community
analyst7
Contributor
Contributor

LUN Resignaturing and Disallow Snapshot issues ESX 4.0

With ESX 4.0 vmware has made changes pertaining to the functionality of the LVM.DisallowSnapshotLun and LVM.EnableResignature settings that were available in 3.5 under the Advanced Settings. With ESX 4.0 you are asked if you want to allow these settings when adding a LUN that is a snapshot. You can however edit these settings at the host level in the esx.conf file to make this a "global" setting at the host level. This can be done in ESXi as well using "unsupported" mode.

Our issue is that we utilize NetApp Snapmirror and Flexclone technology to provision test LUN's to our DR Vmware environment for testing purposes. We have the entire process scripted to provide failover to the DR site for both a testing environment (using Flexclones) and for an actual "takeover" on the DR SAN in the event of an actualy disaster. Think of it as SRM without the GUI only the failback process is a more streamlined process.

With these new settings we've discovered several things.

A. Simply changing the LVM.DisallowSnapShotLun = 0 and rescanning the ESX host does not "mount" then snapshot LUNs. The storage adapter recognizes the LUN but the Host does not mount the LUN. However, rebooting the ESX host will mount the LUN properly.

B. Another observation we found is that even using the GUI to apply these setting did not work. It returned an error "Cannot configure Host Setting".

We have opened a case with Vmware and they have observed these behaviors and they do not have a resolution as of yet.

My question is first of all has anyone else ran across this issue and secondly, is there a way to flush the memory on the ESX host by restarting a service? Vmware has stated that this information is being stored in the host memory yet running /sbin/services.sh restart does not resolve the issue. We have to reboot the host everytime we fail these LUN's over and then fail them back. Even after performing a rescan.

Any information would be helpful.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion

For mounting, you can consiger using the esxcfg-volume -m command line. Maybe this can help you on developing a more automatic scripting.

Marcelo Soares

VMWare Certified Professional 310/410

Virtualization Tech Master

Globant Argentina

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
analyst7
Contributor
Contributor

There is a known bug in the esxcfg-volume command that was confirmed by a vmware storage engineer that we opened a case with. It will not mount the LUN. They have been working on the case for a week without any resolution. We can successfully unmount the LUN but it will not mount either via the GUI or command line.

Fortunately this is happening in our Disaster Recovery datacenter and not in production. Our DR failover scripting is being performed via Powershell. As of right now I am not aware of any Powercli cmdlets that perform this function.

I know that the snapshot and lun resignature processes are recognized differently in 4.0 than in 3.5 but I'm looking for specifics. E.g. what files (esx.confg?) or associated services, etc that have changed to help us understand the changes better. I was really hoping that a Vmware Storage Engineer would be able to answer these questions but he is as lost as we are.

Any additional info would be very helpful. Thanks for the response.

0 Kudos