VMware Cloud Community
Tim01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

LUN Limit

In the documentation for ESXi 5.0, it states that there is a limit of 256 LUNs per host. However, I am wondering if this 256 LUN limit is per array or actually per host. So if you have 2 seperate arrays, you could actually have 512 LUNs.

So you'd have two LUN 0, two LUN 1, etc but from different arrays. So the LUN limit, in this case, would be array specific as apposed to host specific.

Can anyone tell me which is correct?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Some of the mentioned limits are "supported" maximums, which means you could exceed the limit and it may work. I'm not sure whether the LUN limit is a hard (enforced) limit or not, but I would not want to risk issues with unsupported configurations in a production environment.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

per host.  A single ESXi Host can only access a maximum of 256 LUNs

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere5/r51/vsphere-51-configuration-maximums.pdf

Tim01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yep, saw both of those articles. The storage folks (a guy from another company) is saying that you can have duplicate LUN IDs. So when they hit the 256 limit, they went to another array and he thought it worked.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Some of the mentioned limits are "supported" maximums, which means you could exceed the limit and it may work. I'm not sure whether the LUN limit is a hard (enforced) limit or not, but I would not want to risk issues with unsupported configurations in a production environment.

André

0 Kudos
Tim01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you André.

Points awarded.

0 Kudos