VMware Cloud Community
mapd07
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

LSI SAS 9211-8i Performance issue. (2MB/s)

Hello,

I got the LSI SAS 9211-8i adapter to set up a ESXi 4.1 Server to host a set of virtual machines.

I attached 8 Western Digital 6Gb/s harddrives to the adapter and set them to RAID 10.

All was OK during the install and initial setup, but when it came time to transfer any virtual machines into that

particular ESX server, the best data transfer rate was somewhere between 2-3MB/s.

I have already upgraded the BIOS and firmware in the adapter, but still no luck getting ti to transfer any faster.

Only time I was able to get some improved data transfer speeds was when I removed the RAID and had all 8 drives individually,

but even then the performance was not that great. (4-5MB/s).

NOTE: If I connect a single harddrive to the motherboard and install the ESXi 4.1 onto the drive, data transfer speed are just fine.

Specs:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D-E

CPU: Core i7 950

RAM: 24GB DDR3

harddrive: Western Digital WD5002AALX

NIC: Intel PRO/1000MT

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would really appreciate if anybody has any ideas or suggestions.

Regards,

Mikey

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes it is built for a price. There isn't anything wrong with it. LSI just removed features (cache and the ability to add it ) to make it sell for a price conscious buyer.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you will need battery cache inorder to have good performance.

J1mbo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Doesn't look like good news with this controller - appears it doesn't have any cache at all.  As stated BBWC is needed for ESXi.

It may be worth considering Dell's Perc 6i instead.

0 Kudos
mapd07
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How or what configuration this card can be used at all? Is the cache rquired for any RAID configuration?

Regards,

Mikey

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

When this card is used with a standalone OS like windows or linux it doesn't need to share access to the disks. With ESXi and Virtual Guests they must share access. Without write caching (enabled when a battery backed cache module is present) performance will suffer greatly as you have discovered. Each disk write must be completed and acknowledged before the controller can service the next VM. With write caching the controller can temporarily store writes (and reads) in the cache fro background writing and can quickly service the next VM.

There is no way to improve performance without an onboard battery backed cache .

0 Kudos
mapd07
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Would this card be OK for a Web-server that would be running Windows 2008 R2 for example? 

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If it was a standalone server it would be adequate but it wouldn't be a top performer under heavy load.

0 Kudos
mapd07
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

For what senario would somebody use this card? Is just lower end card to keep the cost low?

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes it is built for a price. There isn't anything wrong with it. LSI just removed features (cache and the ability to add it ) to make it sell for a price conscious buyer.

0 Kudos