VMware Cloud Community
EddieA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

LSI 9260 - Battery Status: Unknown

I've just replaced my old LSI MegaRAID SATA 300-8X controller, which V5 refuses to work with (another story), with an LSI SAS 9260-8i.

Initially I didn't see any status information presented to ESXi, until I found out that I needed to load an LSI provided SMIS Provider VIB, which I did:  VMW-ESX-5.0.0-LSIProvider-500.04.V0.24-261033-456178

Now I can see all the status indicators, except that the Battery Status always returns:  Unknown.

Also, using LSI's MSM, the information provided for the battery doesn't look correct, and also never changes.  It's always exactly the same:

Relative State of Charge:  100%

Absolute State of Charge:  88%

Run time to Empty:  Battery is not being discharged

Estimate time to full recharge:  Battery is not being charged

Is there anything else I have to do/set in order to get the battery status.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
brucekconvergen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've seen this when using the newer '08 BBU module --- it seems the LSI Provider module doesn't know how to report on this BBU properly yet.  You can start a case with LSI and see if they'll update the provider.

I have one card with the older BBU, works fine, the newer one, see the same issue as you, but it actually is working OK, just the Status reporting is goofed up.

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Well for one, VMware combines the LSI provided API to gather the raid card information and does not have a separate API for LSI. If even LSI MSM is providing the same message of "Battery Status: Unknown", then it is mostly a firmware upgrade needed on the raid Card or LSI to provide a new patch and obviously a new VMW-ESX-5.0.0-LSIProvider-500 vib :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
brucekconvergen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've updated the firmware on our cards (2) to the latest firmware... made no difference.  The RAID BIOS on the card recognizes and manages the battery just fine... so probably MSM and LSI Provider need updating, or there's some other issue.  I think it has everything to do with the newer BBU unit that I used that was listed as compatible with this card... there are at least 2 models listed as compatible, I have the older "07" model in one, and the "08" one in the other... I've swapped them, and the "unknown" issue follows the newer battery unit.  I think the model number, etc. is unrecognized by the LSI Provider module.  I did have to update the BIOS on both cards, initially (last year) to get them to recognize this newer battery module.

0 Kudos
EddieA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yeah, It's the '08 battery I have, so I guess I'll try the LSI route, but based on previous contacts with their support, I'm not going to hold my breath.

Strangely enough though, it was reported correctly under EXSi 4U1, that had a built in CIM provider.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
aqualityplacem
Contributor
Contributor

did youi have any luck with this. I have the same problem with ESXi 5 u1a with all the latest LSI firmware & Drivers etc

0 Kudos