VMware Cloud Community
MNBhatti
Contributor
Contributor

LSI 9211-8i Unable to see all disks from ESX, Other OS can see all

I have a DL380 G7 with LSI 9211-8i card recently installed and flashed to latest 20.0.0 IT mode firmware while the built-in P410i card is disabled. There are 2 SSD and 6 SAS drives connected to the system but I can only see 1 SSD and 6 SAS instead of 2 SSDs. Storage adapter output shows 8 paths and 1 path dead. I replaced the drives but that one path remains dead. Interestingly when I use Ubuntu or any other CD to boot the system, I can see all drives and access them just fine. So I am not sure if this is a H/W issue. I even booted the system with ESX media and can't even see all drives there.

Been trying to get to the root cause of this issue for last 3 days getting no where. These are 3 servers in total with identical H/W and the remaining 2 are able to see all disks just fine. What can be the problem and what to look for? I am running latest ESX 6.5.0a.

Thanks,
Muhammad

0 Kudos
6 Replies
hussainbte
Expert
Expert

can you use ESXi 6.5 U1 ISO..

as per vmware HCL that is only supported version of ESxi for this card.

VMware Compatibility Guide - I/O Device Search

If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Correct OR Helpful Regards, Hussain https://virtualcubes.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
MNBhatti
Contributor
Contributor

Just tried to boot from ESXi 6.5 U1 ISO. Can only see 7 disks. 6 SAS and 1 SSD. Also tried to boot the server from Windows 2016 ISO and was able to see all disks just fine. It's the ESX only not able to see the disk. Could be the disk firmware?

0 Kudos
SureshKumarMuth
Commander
Commander

Firmware and driver of the disk and controller on other two working host is same as the problematic one ?

Regards,
Suresh
https://vconnectit.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
MNBhatti
Contributor
Contributor

They are exactly the same. Trying to update firmware of the server and see if that helps.

0 Kudos
MNBhatti
Contributor
Contributor

Just updated the firmware on the server using HP SPP still can't see the disk in ESX. :S Any pointers on where and what to look for?

0 Kudos
roeibrauner
Contributor
Contributor

Have the same issue with Dell T420, PERC H710 adapter and the latest version of ESXi 6.0 (u3 - 6765062)

I took 2 working disks (Seagate 2 tera - non RAID) from Dell T320, plug it to T420, I can see the drives in Dell IDRAC, but ESXi doesn't see it.

0 Kudos