VMware Cloud Community
jt_cp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

LDAP High Latency with ESXi 6

We have HP Gen9 with Emulex 10Gb (Driver v10.5.121.7) running latest ESXi 6.0 and experience high latency of above 50ms to 1.5 seconds with LDAP queries between Windows DC to DC or VM to DC.   However, moving the DC to a ESXi 5.5/6.0 with 1Gb network latency is down to below 50ms.  If you just ping the two servers, ping response is <1ms.

Anyone else experiencing such issue? It appears to happen with ESXi 6.0 with 10Gb Networki.   ESXi 5.5 on 10Gb appears to work fine. 

>50ms up to 1.8 seconds in query time

ESXi6 DC VM to ESXi DC VM on the same host, 10Gb DSwitch

ESXi6 DC VM to ESXi DC VM on different host, 10Gb DSwitch

<50ms

Physical DC to Physical DC

ESXi5.5/6.0 DC VM to ESXi5.5/6.0 DC VM on 1Gb Network (Ping is <1ms, FIle copy is > 100MB/sec)

I've checked packet drops with esxtop with network view, no packet drops.

I used the following script for measurement which does 10 queries for a user and takes the average time.

The result is fairy consistent.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/26227.how-to-measure-the-response-time-of...

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
amabenu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

when bare metal servers and vm windows 2012 are involved then try disalble rsc in the vm

Disable-NetAdapterRsc

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
amabenu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We have a similar issue..

HP Proliant BL460 Gen9 with 650FLB Driver: 10.5.121.7     Firmware: 10.5.160.

Regarding Firmware 10.5.160.1, there is an HPE advisory which describes why to use this firmware:

https://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c04855352

Latest Vmware 6.0 and HP Patches ...

Issue:

VM´s MS AD Server and Excange (MSHUB Servers) - looking at the performance monitor in windows (Exchange Ldap queries)

when AD and HUB are on the same esxi - no problem - latency >5ms

when AD and HUB are on different esxi (no matter in same or different enclosure) - problem - lateny <500ms = exchange is slow

testing also with "psping" and found out that other windows vm´s are also affected - doesn´t see this issue onany linux vm

testing different hardware versions (9,10 and 11); testing with different vm-tools version, testing also with differnet network adapert (e1000) = no change do the issue

also no problem on the network (rx, drops etc.)

case at HP and Vmware is open ...

which servers do you use?

0 Kudos
aguerriero
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have a series of Dell and SGI servers. All of them are using Broadcom NetExtreme II BCM57810 10gbps NICs.

Tests between various hosts/VMs and bare metal boxes net below 25ms in most cases average is about 5-10ms.

It doesn't seem to be an ESXi 6 issue with 10gbps cards.

Could be an HP driver issue.

0 Kudos
amabenu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

when bare metal servers and vm windows 2012 are involved then try disalble rsc in the vm

Disable-NetAdapterRsc

0 Kudos
jt_cp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows 2012 R2 Domain Controllers and Exchange 2010 Windows 2008 R2 servers.

0 Kudos
jt_cp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Great for VMWare support, ticket has been opened for 1 month now and nothing.....cricket.......

Nice, I've disabled and tested all other settings except the PSC!

We have disabled PSC across the board on the ESXi Host according to VMWare document.  LDAP is great.

Also, this impacted our View environment.  However disabling LRO on host causes PSOD with Teridici...daily....AWESOME!

0 Kudos
RS_IT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi All,

we have the similar issue on our environment as well and during the course of troubleshooting i have disable the RSS and RSC on IPv4 and IPv6  and the slow LDAP query response issue was sorted for us.

I hope there will be a VMware KB article on this soon as almost every application requires an ldap response and this has slowed down the overall performance of the VMs.

0 Kudos
RS_IT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi All,

we have the similar issue on our environment as well and during the course of troubleshooting i have disable the RSS and RSC on IPv4 and IPv6  and the slow LDAP query response issue was sorted for us.

DisableNetadapterRSC -Name "Network Adapter name" -IPv4

DisableNetadapterRSC -Name "Network Adapter name" -IPv6

I hope there will be a VMware KB article on this soon as almost every application requires an ldap response and this has slowed down the overall performance of the VMs.

0 Kudos