VMware Cloud Community
gmopic
Contributor
Contributor

Kind of boots but stops

I just installed ESX 4i from a bootable CD onto a server with two PERC 5/i RAID cards. The installation seem to work fine. As a note I installed the new software over top of an old ESX 3.5 installation I was not using. When I reboot, the server does its POST stuff then I get the "Loading VMware Hypervisor" then I get the half black half yellow screen where stuff starts to load. I get to the point where I see "vfat loaded successfully" where it pauses for about a minute. Then I get a fully black screen as follows:

ESXi 4.0

failed to load tpm

failed to find boot partition

--- end ---

I don't know what is going on because it clearly starts to boot. Any ideas would help. Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
COdlk
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The PERC 5/i RAID controller is not supported by ESX 4i. I ran into the same problem with the PERC 6/i controller.

david

0 Kudos
savantsingh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Then its the controller issue.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
COdlk
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I would bet that if you downloaded ESX 4 and did the install it would perfectly.

david

0 Kudos
gmopic
Contributor
Contributor

Is it supported by ESX 3i by chance?

0 Kudos
microkid
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Dell Perc 5/i not supported? What have you been drinking? Smiley Wink The Dell Perc 5/i (and 6) is on the ESXi HCL on the VMware site.

And I know, because my system is running ESXi with a Dell Perc 5/i and it runs great!

0 Kudos
COdlk
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

ESX 4i? According to the HCL the PERC 5/i is supported on ESX 3i but not ESX 4i.

david

0 Kudos
microkid
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Copied from the HCL page:

DELL Dell PERC 5/i Adapter Dell SAS/SATA-RAID ESX 4.0 7 , ESX 3.5 U43 , ESX 3.5 U33 , ESX 3.5 U23 , ESX 3.5 U13 , ESX 3.53 , ESXi 3.5 Embedded3 , ESXi 3.5 Installable U13 , ESXi 3.5 Installable3 , ESX 3.0.39 , ESX 3.0.2 U19 , ESX 3.0.28 , ESX 3.0.18 , ESX 3.08

0 Kudos
COdlk
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Like I said no ESX 4i.

david

0 Kudos
microkid
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Well, if it runs on ESX 4.0 it also runs on ESXi Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
savantsingh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes i saw the HCL the controller is supported.

Do this:

Boot the ESX host in console/debug mode.

esxcfg-boot -p

esxcfg-boot -b

Reboot the esx.

See if you get any joy.

Have you tried rebuilding the host did you get the same issue??

Hope this helps

Thanks

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
gmopic
Contributor
Contributor

Why do you think ESX 4 (vs ESX4i) would work?

0 Kudos
COdlk
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Because the Perc 5/i is supported on ESX 4 but NOT on ESX 4i. I ran into the same problem. Installed fine but could not boot after install. Tried ESX 4 no problem.

david

0 Kudos
gmopic
Contributor
Contributor

Newbie here so sorry for dumb question... How do I boot into console/debug?

Do I hit some key combo when I see the yellow and black screen?

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

ALT + F1

Type "unsupported" (will not echo to the screen)

at the prompt enter the root password.

To return to the yellow screen ALT + F2

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Because the Perc 5/i is supported on ESX 4 but NOT on ESX 4i. I ran into the same problem. Installed fine but could not boot after install. Tried ESX 4 no problem.

Interesting. I have a Perc 5/e running under ESX 4i. I had assumed that the 5/e was the same card as the 5/i, just with an external connector, but I might be wrong.

0 Kudos
microkid
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You're correct. Technically, they are the same. And I wonder why the 5/i is not on the ESXi HCL while the 5/e is. I have a 5/i running with ESXi 4.0 fine, and read numerous other posts of people doing the same. The support for the Dell Perc 5 series was the reason for me to buy one, and it would be a shame if VMware dropped that support. Maybe the HCL is not up to date yet?

0 Kudos