VMware Cloud Community
KyleWeir
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Kickstart - adding to vcenter

I want to have my ESXi 5 blades added automatically to vcenter. I found a pearlscript online which says it will add the server to vcenter for ESXi 4.0/4.1 etc.. but there's no mention of ESXi5 and I was hoping to see if there was a better way as the pearlscript seems like a hack (no offence to anyone) I was wondering if esxcli or vim-cmd or if there was something else that could connect it into the vcenter>>

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

If you want to leverage native kickstart, the only option is using some python and nifty calls to vSphere MOB as documented here - http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2011/03/how-to-automatically-add-esxi-host-to.html (this should also work for ESXi 5, as there is no change in those call from 4.x)

There's no method that I'm aware of today using esxcli or vim-cmd, those are local host operations and do not talk to vCenter.

The alternative is to use a tool from VMware called Auto Deploy which is new with vSphere 5 using a stateless deployment and it has hooks to automatically join a vCenter cluster defined by you. It requires the use of Enterprise + and host profiles to customize the host and then join it to vCenter.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

If you want to leverage native kickstart, the only option is using some python and nifty calls to vSphere MOB as documented here - http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2011/03/how-to-automatically-add-esxi-host-to.html (this should also work for ESXi 5, as there is no change in those call from 4.x)

There's no method that I'm aware of today using esxcli or vim-cmd, those are local host operations and do not talk to vCenter.

The alternative is to use a tool from VMware called Auto Deploy which is new with vSphere 5 using a stateless deployment and it has hooks to automatically join a vCenter cluster defined by you. It requires the use of Enterprise + and host profiles to customize the host and then join it to vCenter.

0 Kudos