VMware Cloud Community
mstevens492
Contributor
Contributor

KMIP 1.1 key management servers for vsphere 6.5 encryption

We are trying to set up vsphere 6.5 encryption for our environment, and there is a short list of recommended KMIP 1.1 key management server providers.  However, the catch we are running into is that so far they all seem to require that we have to buy their encryption packages as well.  In other words, we are having a hard time simply finding a stand alone KMIP 1.1 key management server without having to buy a bunch of other stuff with it we don't want.  So far this has been the case with vormetric, Thales, and safenet.  It also seems when I contact these vendors that they don't see to understand we just want key management, and so their sales people tell us we have to buy the whole package, we can't buy just a key management server.

Has anyone successfully set up vsphere 6.5 encryption yet?  If so, what KMS did you use?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
atlantauser
Contributor
Contributor

The HyTrust DataControl product is on the vmware price list and includes the KeyManagement component you're looking for. We are the only encryption partner on their list. If you send me a direct message with your contact info, I'm happy to help you out. You can be up and running in less than 30 minutes.

--

Rob

0 Kudos
pathnony
Contributor
Contributor

KeyNexus provides a KMIP server that isn’t connected to encryption or any other services – it is a standalone KMIP server. It’s also easy to setup and can be fully integrated with vSphere.  Here’s the integration guide: https://keynexus.net/wp-content/uploads/keynexus_vsphere_v2.4.pdf 

If you have any questions, direct message me and I can pass along more information.

0 Kudos