VMware Cloud Community
macpiano
Contributor
Contributor

Just got a SAN, where do I start?

I have been using a regular server's drive space to house my VM's. I want to start using the SAN for the datastore for some of them. Is there a how to on this? I'm thinking 2TB max as usual on a datastore. How do I designate nic cards to go to the SAN and since I have 8 nics on the VM server would 4 to the switches for the SAN make sense. Are snapshots from the VM or the SAN be better?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

I assume you are setting up an iSCSI SAN - here is the configuration that will have the information on how to set up and configure ESXi to access the SAN - http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r41/vsp_41_iscsi_san_cfg.pdf - in regards to LUN size I would suggest a little smaller - maybe 1 TB

In terms of snap shots it depends what you want to do - SAN Snapshots and VM Snapshots are totaly different -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
macpiano
Contributor
Contributor

I was kind of hoping for a 2 page cliff notes so to speak but thanks.

0 Kudos
timjwatts
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Any idea which SAN you might get?

I like my EqualLogic box as it has some nice multipathing integration and the management is very nice (command line over ssh/telnet, web or integrated with vCenter/vClient via plugin).

Cheers

Tim

0 Kudos
farkasharry
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

1. Use 2 nics from ESX to the SAN to have redundancy and multipathing
2. Define 2 vmkernel portgroups on the ESX with the two nics

3. Activate storage iSCSI, enter target for discovery
4. Bind the vmk port to the nic vmhba (over CLI with esxcli -> see the docu)
5. Check path settings

6. use it (create Datastore, etc.)

Sorry, I couldnt make it shorter, but as a main directive it might do it Smiley Happy

*** If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful! *** vExpert 2019, VCAP-DCA,VCP,MCSE,MCITS and some more...
macpiano
Contributor
Contributor

Did I read something about enabling Jumbo Frames on the ethernet ports on the Switch that are used or is that unncessary? And thanks for the short How to.

0 Kudos
farkasharry
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You can enable Jubo Frames but it must be supported by the whole networking infrastructure to have a real benefit out of it.
Even if it is the case, the actual benefit is only important if you need to get the last bit out of your equipment. Otherwise, you can also live without it! Smiley Wink

*** If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful! *** vExpert 2019, VCAP-DCA,VCP,MCSE,MCITS and some more...
0 Kudos
macpiano
Contributor
Contributor

I am on step 3 and I entered member1 (the default name I used per the SAN instructions)  for target discovery  and it looked like it picked it up. I created a volume on the san for this purpose. I cannot see it yet in VM so do I need to use step 4 before that happens?

0 Kudos
farkasharry
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If the SAN LUN is visible, you should add a new storage. (Storage-> Add Storage) For this, you can select the LUN(s) available,define block size, name etc.

0 Kudos
macpiano
Contributor
Contributor

I do not get the LUN when I add storage etc. 

0 Kudos
JohnADCO
Expert
Expert

Usually on the san you have to map the storage to the host or hostgroup and then they pick it up.

So you put in the dynamic discovery target and it told you it shoudl rescan and rescan picked up no luns below showing the paths available for it?

0 Kudos
macpiano
Contributor
Contributor

I'm in. Hooray. The confusion is when creating the nic that I was not creating the vmkernel but one for a vm, I was doing the wrong one. Also the esxcli on the binding was confusing because I had to to a do remote one and needed the correct syntax-they need to put this in the gui. I also got confused between the terms vmk1 and vmnic1 etc.

thanks again.

0 Kudos
farkasharry
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Kernel port binding IS in the GUI in vsphere5! Smiley Wink But yes, indeed. Vmware terms are quite confusing at the beginning...

0 Kudos
macpiano
Contributor
Contributor

I knew it probably was but then I would have to upgrade. I may at some point as we keep maintenance but I got enough going on right now.

0 Kudos
macpiano
Contributor
Contributor

Quote    Use 2 nics from ESX to the SAN to have redundancy and multipathing

5. Check path settings

6. use it (create Datastore, etc.)

. Use 2 nics from ESX to the SAN to have redundancy and multipathing

5. Check path settings

6. use it (create Datastore, etc.) ''

It took me a while but this is exactly what I did as well as enabling Jumbo frames.

thanks

0 Kudos