VMware Cloud Community
20thCB
Contributor
Contributor

Jumbo frames using guest iSCSI initiator in Windows

I've successfully configured my Windows 2003 guest with a couple of vnics to access my EqualLogic storage. I setup the MS iscsi initiator and installed the Dell Host Integration Tools for Windows. Using ESXi 5.0 and the vmxnet3 nic driver.

However, even though I configure the vnics to use jumbo frames, it only connects to the EQL using standard frame lengths. The only option for jumbo frames in the vmxnet3 driver is 9000.I have enabled jumbo frames everywhere else, on the vswitch, physical switches, and san controllers. In fact, if I disable in-guest iscsi and use ESXi iscsi instead, I get jumbo frames detected fine. As soon as I switch to in-guest iscsi (using the same vswitch) I get standard frame lengths even though 9000 frame length is selected.

Has anyone got any suggestions? The reason I want to use guest iscsi is so I can use Dell ASM/ME which takes VSS-enabled san snapshots. I can't do this if I use ESXi iscsi. I know I can use ASM/VE but that is not VSS aware and is a tool to solve different problems.

Is anyone else doing a similar thing? Should I just use standard frames anyway? I want to get it right upfront because once it goes into production it will be hard to make changes.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion

From the Windows host, can you try to ping your SAN with this command?

ping -l 8972 -f SAN-IP

This will test if you can jumbo frames connectivity all the way into the guest.

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
20thCB
Contributor
Contributor

I tried the ping, no joy 😞

The maximum mtu that gets a reply is 1472.

Is anyone successfully using jumbo frames for iSCSI in the guest?

0 Kudos
20thCB
Contributor
Contributor

Woohoo all working now!

I had accidentally plugged the blade into the one slot that had a misconfigured switch port. Once I set the switch port mtu to 9216  everything worked.

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion

20thCB wrote:

I tried the ping, no joy 😞

The maximum mtu that gets a reply is 1472.

Nice to see that you got it working by configuring the switchport. I belive that by using ping with these parameters you could quite easy test if whole path is ready or not, since it is much harder to diagnose similar problems inside the iSCSI connection.

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
0 Kudos