VMware Cloud Community
NoTr3x
Contributor
Contributor

Join Active Directory

Hi,

i tried to join a domain with my ESX Hosts in our Production. It won't work and i don't know why.

Here is the Case, probabyl someone has got an answer, that will work for me.

Production:

ESX6 Version 4600944

Windows Active Directory 2012

AD Account: User -> See all Computer Objects, Can create computer objects, Can delete computer objects

Output:

[root@esx4:~] /usr/lib/vmware/likewise/bin/domainjoin-cli join  DOMAIN.COM administrator@DOMAIN.COM

Joining to AD Domain:   DOMAIN.COM

With Computer DNS Name: esx4.DOMAIN.COM

administrator@DOMAIN.COM's password:

Error: LW_ERROR_KRB5KDC_ERR_C_PRINCIPAL_UNKNOWN [code 0x0000a309]

Client not found in Kerberos database

LDAP Paths:

DC=DOMAIN DC=COM OU=Server OU= Test OU=Infrastruktur

LAB:

ESX6 Version 4600944

Windows Active Directory 2012

AD Account: Administrator

AD Account: User -> All rights

Output:

[root@esx4:~] /usr/lib/vmware/likewise/bin/domainjoin-cli join  DOMAIN.COM administrator@DOMAIN.COM

Joining to AD Domain:   DOMAIN.COM

With Computer DNS Name: esx4.DOMAIN.COM

administrator@DOMAIN.COM's password:

SUCCESS

LDAP Paths:

1st way:

DC=DOMAIN DC=COM OU=Computers

2nd Way:

DC=DOMAIN DC=COM OU=Server OU= Test OU=Infrastruktur

Ways i tried:

• Reach DNS Server [successful]
  • Reach DC [successful]
  • Lookup DNS [successful]

Update:

1. Tried to connect to Port 636,389,53,88 from ESX to DC. [successful]

Maybe some rights are missing, do you know, which rights i need, for joining the domain.

Tags (2)
18 Replies
PCTechStream
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

This happens when the account was deleted from AD.

Error: LW_ERROR_KRB5KDC_ERR_C_PRINCIPAL_UNKNOWN [code 0x0000a309]

client not found in Kerberos database

Try this LINK:

vGeek: Manage vCenter server appliance AD authetication from commandline

Raul.

VMware VDI Administrator

http://ITCloudStream.com/

www.ITSA.Cloud
0 Kudos
NoTr3x
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Raul,

the account and the computer object are in AD.

I deleted nothing.

Do you know, how "/usr/lib/vmware/likewise/bin/domainjoin-cli " works?

Because our active directory is hardend.

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

You say that the Active Directory is hardened.

Are you able to replicate the hardening in the lab?

By hardening I take it to mean certain Group Policy settings are set.

It could be any of the Group Policy Settings and sometimes people responsible for the security realm just go with some recommendation without understanding the actual implications. It could be any of those hardened settings. Many years ago I have seen that GPO hardening setting that tend to be network related and/or encryption related tend to break things between servers and clients (client including other running server OSs). One of the most notorious one is "System Cryptography: Use FIPS compliant algorithms for encryption, hashing, and signing.”

In case you need some help in justifying to undo this GPO setting ->> Why We’re Not Recommending “FIPS Mode” Anymore – Microsoft Security Guidance

0 Kudos
PCTechStream
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

0 Kudos
abugeja
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

what's the benefit of having your ESXi in AD? Personally I don't see any

0 Kudos
PCTechStream
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

• The benefit to adding a vSphere host to the domain would be the additional ability to access to your host via an AD account instead of the host root account. This way if you have multiple users that require it you no longer have to manage the root or user credentials on each host, let AD figure that out for you.

• Also, you can allow the system administrators to login to the vSphere Client, the vMA and the Direct Console User Interface with an Active Directory account, this then removes the need to divulge the root user password.

• Aside from allowing your AD credentials to authenticate you, it's a good process of hardening your ESXi host. If you join the host to the domain you can eliminate the need to constantly change the root password of your host every time one of your administrators leaves your company.

• Even-more, you can configure ESXi hosts to use Active Directory, which can then be used to manage users and groups. You can join a host to the domain using an AD account that has the necessary permissions. Other pre-requisites are that DNS should be configured correctly for your hosts, and time synchronization should be in place for the host(s) and the directory servers.

Raul.

VMware VDI Administrator

www.ITSA.Cloud
abugeja
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If AD is down and the Host is connected to AD what is the impact?

0 Kudos
PCTechStream
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

No impact! Everything will be working normally with vSphere, just users with AD accounts won't be able to access vCenter,  but usually there is always a Primary DC with 2,3,4,5,6,10 and more secondaries\replicas AD DC, same for vCenter with many replicas/instances, remember vSphere got its own domain "vSphere.Local". So primarily, is all about how you configure your network infrastructure. 

Raul.

VMware VDI Administrator

www.ITSA.Cloud
0 Kudos
abugeja
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Personally I don't see the benefit of adding them to AD. Just another configuration you need to be mindful of if they are joint to AD. Keep it simple Smiley Happy Each to there own

0 Kudos
PCTechStream
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Sure!

www.ITSA.Cloud
0 Kudos
NoTr3x
Contributor
Contributor

but, nobody knows which requirements are needed for joining the active directory, right?

0 Kudos
MDNaseer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Adding your vSphere hosts to Active Directory can simplify user management and help improve security.  It’s relatively easy to add local users to a hosts and to assign them administrative privileges, but if you have a lot of administrators the steps to configure each account will need to be repeated multiple times on each host.

You can simplify the local user configuration by using AD groups.  With groups, rather than repeating the setup for multiple user accounts you only need to configure the group account once on each host.  Once privileges have been assigned to the group you control who has access to the host by adding and removing users to/from the AD group.

abugeja
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

how many people need access directly to the esxi host? Also what work are you doing that needs access to the host that you cant do via the vsphere client?

0 Kudos
stacycarter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

NoTr3x​ did you ever find the cause of your issue?  We're seeing the same error/issue.  In our case, we see that the computer account gets created, but the authentication/kerberos setup portion doesn't seem to complete successfully.

0 Kudos
NoTr3x
Contributor
Contributor

Hey stacycarter  , i have open a ticket and our BCS team and I will follow up and i can send you a report what we made.

0 Kudos
stacycarter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks NoTr3x​, can you provide the case number as well?

0 Kudos
stacycarter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi NoTr3x​ - Can you provide the case number?

0 Kudos
NoTr3x
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

after a long journey with the support team from Cork.

Their engeeniering told me, that it will be fixxed in Patch 6.

0 Kudos