VMware Cloud Community
kgottleib
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ivy Bridge not available in EVC mode list when enabling EVC

I have a new cluster for which I am attempting to enable EVC, no problem enabling any of the options in the list, except for Ivy Bridge.  Clicking the icon in the hosts summary tab I see that Ivy bridge is shown as compatible.  However, IVY bridge doesn't show up in the list of EVC modes in the drop down, what gives?    

CPU is Intel E5-2670 v2  (which is supposed to be fully compatible with IVY bridge, and IVY bridge does show up in the list of compatible modes in the host summary tab)

What could possibly be the issue here?    Why is sandy bridge the latest and greatest that is selectable in the drop down... shouldn't you expect to see the same choices in the drop down as in the list of compatible modes?

evc1.pngvc2.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ScreamingSilenc
Jump to solution

In vCenter Server 5.1 and 5.5, the Intel® "Ivy Bridge" Generation option is only displayed in the Web Client.

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ScreamingSilenc
Jump to solution

In vCenter Server 5.1 and 5.5, the Intel® "Ivy Bridge" Generation option is only displayed in the Web Client.

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful.
kgottleib
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the resolution Mustafa...    This is quite unfortunate... to again force users into the horrible web client forcing customers to use 2 clients to adminster the infrastructure.. and to make matters worse, once you enable it in the web client it still shows up as disabled in the C# client!  

A colleague of mine is the one who reached out me on this, so I'm not sure how much time he spent on this, and I know I spent at least almost an hour trying to understand why I couldnt' see the option, it lead me to believe the BIOS wasn't configured correctly and that I needed to enable some CPU options or something... what a waste of time...  SAD..

VMware - you have become a disgrace as of late... pathetic..  you obviously aren't listening to your customers.. they have been screaming about you keeping the C# client in full force, it is (WAS) one of the best features of your product line.. easy to use and manage, fast, convenient..  tsk tsk for trying to push people into your FLASH crap..

HBUsysadm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Well that is very bad.

I just started looking into it after I confirmed the CPU's are ivybridge-ep so i was going to raise the EVC mode from sandy but if it basicly goes to disabled then that'll be an issue when we add the haswell host to the cluster.

I'd like to unmask the added ivybridge features but if that means that it flips to disabled and the future haswell host ends up exposing other features then we'll have VM's that get stuck on one host.

0 Kudos